Joe Alblas, Photo courtesy of the History Channel
Television network NBC announced that it will produce a sequel to the History Channel’s popular miniseries, “The Bible.”
"I followed the development process of "The Bible" closely with Mark and knew that the story was far from over after Christ's Crucifixion," NBC Chairman Robert Greenblatt said in an article on The Hollywood Reporter.com. "In fact, what happened in the aftermath — which is essentially the beginning of Christianity — is utterly fascinating. This will be attention-getting in every way."
Burnett is confident the sequel to "The Bible" miniseries will be successful.
“I believe in the next 15 years, more people on the planet will have seen our "Bible" series than not seen it," Burnett said in an interview with The Hollywood Reporter.
The producer said he could see himself working on “Bible”-related material for the next 10 years, according to The Hollywood Reporter.
The original “Bible” miniseries ran on cable television for five weeks in March, bringing in 13.1 million viewers its first week and closing with 11.7 million viewers on Easter Sunday.
The miniseries surpassed what early critics, including Entertainment Weekly and the Los Angeles Times, said of it, calling the show a “cheesefest” or “flat and often tedious.” But when “The Bible” aired, it outperformed big-name shows including AMC’s “The Walking Dead” as well as HBO’s “Game of Thrones.”
“The Bible” sold 520,000 copies its first week of release on DVD and became the highest-selling TV DVD product in the last five years, according to ENSTARS.com.
Many view the show's popularity as a positive return of religion into mainstream media. A recent poll from the Pew Research Center found that 48 percent of U.S. adults believe the growth of the nonreligious in America is a "bad thing."
"The Bible" sequel, with the tentative title of “A.D.: Beyond the Bible,” does not have a release date yet.
- Faith and fame: Former 'Dancing With the...
- LDS Church outlines how it prevents child...
- New poll finds Americans less likely to keep...
- Up-close view of angel Moroni statue being...
- LDS Church hires assistant church historian...
- The evolution of LDS 'lady missionaries' and...
- Should your boss know that you keep the Sabbath?
- Twila Van Leer: Tips for preserving valuable...
- BYU will buy Provo High School for... 47
- LDS Church hires assistant church... 40
- Should your boss know that you keep the... 25
- Defending the Faith: Taking a 'Leap of... 23
- New poll finds Americans less likely to... 22
- For Hillary Clinton, church offers a... 18
- The benefits some families see from... 15
- Power of one: BYU grad hopes to help... 8