Joe Alblas, Photo courtesy of the History Channel
Television network NBC announced that it will produce a sequel to the History Channel’s popular miniseries, “The Bible.”
"I followed the development process of "The Bible" closely with Mark and knew that the story was far from over after Christ's Crucifixion," NBC Chairman Robert Greenblatt said in an article on The Hollywood Reporter.com. "In fact, what happened in the aftermath — which is essentially the beginning of Christianity — is utterly fascinating. This will be attention-getting in every way."
Burnett is confident the sequel to "The Bible" miniseries will be successful.
“I believe in the next 15 years, more people on the planet will have seen our "Bible" series than not seen it," Burnett said in an interview with The Hollywood Reporter.
The producer said he could see himself working on “Bible”-related material for the next 10 years, according to The Hollywood Reporter.
The original “Bible” miniseries ran on cable television for five weeks in March, bringing in 13.1 million viewers its first week and closing with 11.7 million viewers on Easter Sunday.
The miniseries surpassed what early critics, including Entertainment Weekly and the Los Angeles Times, said of it, calling the show a “cheesefest” or “flat and often tedious.” But when “The Bible” aired, it outperformed big-name shows including AMC’s “The Walking Dead” as well as HBO’s “Game of Thrones.”
“The Bible” sold 520,000 copies its first week of release on DVD and became the highest-selling TV DVD product in the last five years, according to ENSTARS.com.
Many view the show's popularity as a positive return of religion into mainstream media. A recent poll from the Pew Research Center found that 48 percent of U.S. adults believe the growth of the nonreligious in America is a "bad thing."
"The Bible" sequel, with the tentative title of “A.D.: Beyond the Bible,” does not have a release date yet.
- President Uchtdorf dedicates addition to...
- This is even more evidence that Jesus may...
- Want to improve your marriage? Get a hobby,...
- Mormon Channel releases gritty videos of real...
- Helping people deal with criticisms against...
- How serving an LDS mission prepared me for...
- LDS Church will continue Boy Scout program
- Defending the Faith: Parallels between Lehite...
- LDS Church will continue Boy Scout program 256
- Defending the Faith: Parallels between... 44
- This is even more evidence that Jesus... 14
- Is there too much faith in college... 12
- Want to improve your marriage? Get a... 10
- 8 interesting facts about the Toronto... 8
- Recently vandalized Fort Collins... 8
- Trust, forgiveness and repentance are... 6