CCS will be closed on the Fourth of July, but the Salt Lake Mission will serve its annual Independence Day Meal at Liberty Park. Meal service will resume at St. Vincent de Paul Dining Room on Friday.
“We have also partnered with the Fourth Street Clinic and students from the University of Utah to provide medical outreach for families and individuals taking refuge in the center and in our courtyard,” Kelsch said.
The Road Home, which provides shelter and case management for homeless individuals and families, is providing early check-in to people who need protection from the heat.
“We also offer this during the winter when the days become treacherously cold,” said Matt Minkevitch, executive director of The Road Home.
Meanwhile, Salt Lake County's Meals on Wheels drivers have been briefed on signs of heat-related illnesses, which they may encounter as they deliver meals. The warning signs include hot, dry skin, confusion, hallucinations and aggression.
Seniors who do not have swamp coolers or air conditioning are encouraged to visit any of Salt Lake County's 19 air-conditioned senior centers. To locate the nearest center, call 385-468-3080.
* * *
How you can help
• Volunteers of America needs donations of bottled water, sunscreen, socks, underwear and T-shirts. For more information call 801-363-9414 or visit VOA's website at www.voaut.org.
• Fourth Street Clinic needs donations of bottled water, sunscreen and lip balm. To help, call 385-234-5702 or visit the clinic's website at www.fourthstreetclinic.org.
• Salt Lake County Aging Services is seeking donations of new electric household fans to give to clients who need help cooling their homes. Donations will be accepted at the Aging Services offices at 2001 S. State, Room 1500, in the South Building of Salt Lake County Complex. Call 385-468-3200 for more information.
- Argument, break-up threats preceded double...
- Episcopal bishops seek end to 'unholy...
- About Utah: They got exactly what they wished...
- Top 10 best road trip spots (and photo...
- 15 moments many Utahns will never forget
- Mill Creek restoration project to offer new...
- Ex-Attorney General Mark Shurtleff pleads not...
- Support for law requiring sales tax for...
- Utahns have mixed reactions to Supreme... 57
- Experts: Decision raises religious... 50
- Episcopal bishops seek end to 'unholy... 38
- Utah's same-sex marriage supporters... 28
- Father, son used LDS Church membership... 25
- Support for law requiring sales tax for... 24
- 'No more red herrings' for Medicaid... 18
- Teenage girl bullied relentlessly gets... 14