Sandy police search for man in kidnapping, assault of ex-girlfriend
SANDY — The search continued Tuesday for a man who police say kidnapped a former girlfriend, was Tasered by police and jumped through a car window to escape.
The incident began when two men picked up a woman at a Midvale motel Monday evening, Sandy Police Sgt. Jon Arnold said. The woman was the former girlfriend of the male passenger.
Once in the car, however, the man would not let the woman out of the back seat. The child-safety locks on the doors prevented the woman from getting out of the vehicle, Arnold said.
The man leaned over the back seat and began punching the woman. The assault was observed by another motorist on 700 East from about 7800 South to 8600 South, Arnold said. Police were called, and a nearby officer spotted the vehicle.
The car was pulled over near 9800 South and 1000 East about 7 p.m. The car was listed as stolen on the officer's computer database, so he conducted a felony stop. Police later learned that the car was recently recovered by the owner.
The driver of the vehicle got out of the car and walked toward the officer, but the passenger refused to get out.
At one point, Arnold said the officer had his gun in one hand and his Taser in the other, trying to hold both the driver and the passenger at bay.
The passenger lunged at the officer through the window with a knife, Arnold said, prompting the officer to deploy the Taser. The man was able to pull the probes out, jump out the passenger window and run through several backyards, Arnold said.
Police from several jurisdictions surrounded the area, using a K-9 to search for the man for about an hour without success.
Investigators were looking Tuesday for 35-year-old Ryan Platt. Anyone with information can call police at 801-840-4000.
- 12-year-old girl dies in accidental shooting...
- Home makeover honors refugee family's service...
- 'It can happen to anyone': Utah universities...
- LDS Church releases renderings of final Provo...
- 20-year-old woman killed after car veers off...
- Skiers celebrate snow and opening of Park...
- Man shot, killed in confrontation with police...
- Alcohol use suspected in Uintah County crash...
- President Obama's immigration reforms... 65
- Utah members of Congress slam Obama's... 56
- Executive action brings 'temporary... 48
- Utah business leaders say Congress must... 47
- Groups petition for gun bans from... 28
- Teen in Springville family found dead... 18
- LDS Church releases renderings of final... 17
- Firing squads could be legal again in Utah 16