Former 'American Idol' winner Ruben Studdard will compete on 'The Biggest Loser'
Ruben Studdard, the season two winner of "American Idol," will compete in the upcoming season of NBC's "The Biggest Loser," according to People magazine.
"I've never had an issue with my weight," Studdard has said, according to People. "(But) my family has a history of high blood pressure, diabetes, heart-related issues — things I didn't have to deal with yet because I'm young. But I don't want to be worried at 40, and if I don't fix things now, I will be."
According to People, Studdard shed 70 pounds off his 455-pound frame in 2006 by adopting a vegan diet along with exercise. However, he started gaining it back after going through a divorce in 2012.
Since defeating Clay Aiken in 2003 to win Fox's singing competition, Studdard has released five studio albums and has appeared in four movies.
Studdard earned the nickname of "Velvet Teddy Bear" for his big frame and warm nature while competing on the show.
The 15th season of "The Biggest Loser" starts this fall.
Michael Smith is an intern in the news section of DeseretNews.com. A 2013 graduate of the University of Utah, he will be attending Northwestern's Medill School of Journalism in the fall.
- Lindsey Stirling reflects on global audience,...
- The 10 best cities in America for job seekers...
- Boy Scouts' leader says ban on gay adults not...
- Ohio patrolman acquitted in shooting deaths...
- Photo gallery: Atop One World Trade Center,...
- Donations pour in for Arizona dog found...
- Ireland has voted to legalize gay marriage,...
- Clinton: GOP threatening small-business jobs
- Boy Scouts' leader says ban on gay... 165
- Congressional delegation not impressing... 32
- Obama: Climate change deniers endanger... 27
- Clinton: GOP threatening small-business... 19
- Belfast baker guilty of discrimination... 14
- Ireland has voted to legalize gay... 13
- Sen. Orrin Hatch calls HBO story on... 13
- FTC: Family raised $187 million for... 12