Former 'American Idol' winner Ruben Studdard will compete on 'The Biggest Loser'
Ruben Studdard, the season two winner of "American Idol," will compete in the upcoming season of NBC's "The Biggest Loser," according to People magazine.
"I've never had an issue with my weight," Studdard has said, according to People. "(But) my family has a history of high blood pressure, diabetes, heart-related issues — things I didn't have to deal with yet because I'm young. But I don't want to be worried at 40, and if I don't fix things now, I will be."
According to People, Studdard shed 70 pounds off his 455-pound frame in 2006 by adopting a vegan diet along with exercise. However, he started gaining it back after going through a divorce in 2012.
Since defeating Clay Aiken in 2003 to win Fox's singing competition, Studdard has released five studio albums and has appeared in four movies.
Studdard earned the nickname of "Velvet Teddy Bear" for his big frame and warm nature while competing on the show.
The 15th season of "The Biggest Loser" starts this fall.
Michael Smith is an intern in the news section of DeseretNews.com. A 2013 graduate of the University of Utah, he will be attending Northwestern's Medill School of Journalism in the fall.
- Police boss: NYC cops 'quite simply,...
- 2 cops in New York City ambushed, fatally...
- The Associated Press' top 10 movies of the year
- NYPD: Cop ambush killer told passers-by to watch
- Christmas 1914: The day even WWI showed humanity
- What people never mention when they talk...
- 9 films advance in Oscars shortlist for best...
- 'Hobbit' goes out on top with $90.6 million...
- Obama: US re-establishing diplomatic... 49
- Vermont governor abandons single-payer... 32
- A post-election flurry: Obama tests his... 16
- Police boss: NYC cops 'quite simply,... 16
- Forget Santa Claus, Virginia. Was there... 16
- Sony cancels 'The Interview' Dec. 25... 15
- NYC premiere of Rogen film 'The... 8
- Utah mourners for Pakistani children... 8