Utah Jazz: Will the real No. 3 please stand up? Trey Burke? DeMarre Carroll?
From @Utah_JazzNation Twitter
SALT LAKE CITY — If you happened to buy a No. 3 Trey Burke Utah Jazz jersey at a Fanzz store Monday, consider yourself lucky.
And put it in a safe place — or on eBay.
The shirt might become a collector's item.
A mini-controversy — one that seems more humorous than harmful — spread in Jazzland when a photo of the replica uniform taken by @Utah_JazzNation was posted on Twitter and details about Burke's temporary number were revealed.
What's the big deal?
Ask DeMarre Carroll.
Though he became an unrestricted free agent on July 1 and currently isn't employed by the Jazz, the Junkyard Dog has worn No. 3 since joining the team a year and a half ago.
If he re-signs with the Jazz — a distinct possibility that has been discussed by his camp and Utah's front office — Carroll would have the first right of refusal on No. 3.
Burke wore Bryon Russell's old number at Michigan, and his Twitter handle is @Trey_Burke3, but the point guard will be issued the No. 33 by the Jazz for the upcoming Orlando Pro Summer League from July 7-12.
All of which made Monday's appearance of a No. 3 Burke Utah jersey at Fanzz stores — a sister company of the Jazz organization under Miller Sports Properties — even more interesting.
As did a late-afternoon development.
Though the Burke jerseys remained on display all day, Fanzz store employees received a late-afternoon message from upper management to cease selling them.
"SMD (Shaking My Dreads) They trying to give my jersey number away already?!" he wrote to Salt Lake Tribune writer Bill Oram on Twitter. "Take them a arm and leg to put in stores for my Fans. SMD."
By the way, Burke's second choice is No. 8 (saved for Randy Foye) and his third favorite number is 13 (Mehmet Okur's number, and a hard one for the Jazz staff to give away).
It appears a similar controversy won't happen if Fanzz tries to sell Jazz jerseys with the number of the franchise's other rookie who was drafted in the first round before being traded to Utah.
Center Rudy Gobert posted a picture of his name on a Jazz placard with the No. 27 next to his name.
The Jazz have never had a 27 in the organization's 39 years.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 120
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 38
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 29
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 24
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional... 21
- Dick Harmon: BYU's spring football... 21
- AP All-Americans: Utah's Wright named... 19