SOUTH SALT LAKE — A 55-year-old man accused of trying to kidnap an 8-year-old boy last week was charged Monday.
Robert Gregory Kloer, of South Salt Lake, was charged in 3rd District Court with attempted child kidnapping, a second-degree felony, and obstructing justice, a third-degree felony.
Kloer approached an 8-year-old boy who was playing in a fenced yard near 3700 South and 300 East on June 24, according to charging documents. He asked the boy if he had a football and told him to come over to his house, the charges state.
Kloer then reached over the fence and grabbed the boy's arm and would not let go, charges state. The boy said he did not know the man and thought Kloer was "going to steal me or take me to his house," according to charging documents.
A 9-year-old friend of the boy went over to help pull the 8-year-old away from Kloer, police said, because his 11-year-old sister told him to go help. She said Kloer told them, "You guys are coming with me," police said.
He then threatened to kill the girl when she reached for her phone, according to charging documents. The 11-year-old was able to call her father for help.
Kloer is being held in the Salt Lake County Jail on $200,000 bail.
- Two bodies discovered near Provo's Squaw Peak
- Tabernacle Choir performs Handel's 'Messiah'...
- 2-year-old boy dies from accidental shooting...
- Police make arrest in death of 59-year-old...
- No aftershocks from Saturday's Tooele quake
- Film about man's crusade against child sex...
- Family 'shocked' over Taylorsville woman's death
- Western states to feds: Turn over public lands
- Atheists, Mormon scholars talk religion 90
- At UVU, Elder Oaks sees hope despite... 79
- Utah, Oklahoma same-sex marriage cases... 47
- Appeals judges question right to sue in... 28
- Autopsies of 7 infants completed;... 24
- Texas seizes FLDS Church's secluded ranch 24
- 2-year-old boy dies from accidental... 18
- Salt Lake City's inversion problem... 13