SOUTH SALT LAKE — A 55-year-old man accused of trying to kidnap an 8-year-old boy last week was charged Monday.
Robert Gregory Kloer, of South Salt Lake, was charged in 3rd District Court with attempted child kidnapping, a second-degree felony, and obstructing justice, a third-degree felony.
Kloer approached an 8-year-old boy who was playing in a fenced yard near 3700 South and 300 East on June 24, according to charging documents. He asked the boy if he had a football and told him to come over to his house, the charges state.
Kloer then reached over the fence and grabbed the boy's arm and would not let go, charges state. The boy said he did not know the man and thought Kloer was "going to steal me or take me to his house," according to charging documents.
A 9-year-old friend of the boy went over to help pull the 8-year-old away from Kloer, police said, because his 11-year-old sister told him to go help. She said Kloer told them, "You guys are coming with me," police said.
He then threatened to kill the girl when she reached for her phone, according to charging documents. The 11-year-old was able to call her father for help.
Kloer is being held in the Salt Lake County Jail on $200,000 bail.
- Bingham High students walk out over dress code
- President Monson rededicates Ogden Utah Temple
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- Shots fired after fight at high school in...
- Utah's expanding Hispanic business at center...
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Creativity of ALS ice bucket challenge boosts...
- Big screen 'Maze Runner' is a big dream come...
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 166
- Bingham High students walk out over... 91
- Pro same-sex marriage group responds to... 87
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 38
- Police release names of officers... 37
- Poll: Utahns in favor of school... 27
- Mitt Romney to campaign for Mia Love in... 19
- Can Utah solve its surprising binge... 18