SOUTH SALT LAKE — A 55-year-old man accused of trying to kidnap an 8-year-old boy last week was charged Monday.
Robert Gregory Kloer, of South Salt Lake, was charged in 3rd District Court with attempted child kidnapping, a second-degree felony, and obstructing justice, a third-degree felony.
Kloer approached an 8-year-old boy who was playing in a fenced yard near 3700 South and 300 East on June 24, according to charging documents. He asked the boy if he had a football and told him to come over to his house, the charges state.
Kloer then reached over the fence and grabbed the boy's arm and would not let go, charges state. The boy said he did not know the man and thought Kloer was "going to steal me or take me to his house," according to charging documents.
A 9-year-old friend of the boy went over to help pull the 8-year-old away from Kloer, police said, because his 11-year-old sister told him to go help. She said Kloer told them, "You guys are coming with me," police said.
He then threatened to kill the girl when she reached for her phone, according to charging documents. The 11-year-old was able to call her father for help.
Kloer is being held in the Salt Lake County Jail on $200,000 bail.
- The pimple dilemma: To pop or not to pop
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Prosecutors: Dad, son fleeing police killed...
- Quiz: Name that movie (filmed in Utah)
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: Which Utah attraction should you road...
- Quiz: Which epic Airbnb in Utah should be...
- Police shoot, critically injure 'prime...
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 81
- 45 new locations open to provide free... 38
- Love won't go to GOP national convention 35
- Gov. Gary Herbert calls margin of... 35
- Misty Snow likely to advance to general... 33
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 31
- Arches Health Plan shutdown leaves $33... 30
- Will 'Brexit' vote help Trump in Utah? 26