What's new: Author offers tribute to '7 people who changed the world'
"THE MARK OF A GIANT: Seven People Who Changed the World," by Ted Stewart, Shadow Mountain, $27.99, 262 pages (nf)
There are two kinds of people in this world, according to author Ted Stewart: giants and dwarfs.
"Through the centuries, the image of a dwarf sitting on the shoulder of a giant has been used to express the idea that we owe our own successes largely to the contributions of great people," Stewart wrote in the book's introduction.
In his new book, "The Mark of a Giant: Seven People Who Changed the World," the New York Times bestselling author has placed a magnifying glass on the lives of seven giants in hopes of inspiring those in the world who feel small.
"This book is not just about the giants, it is also about the dwarfs," Stewart's introduction continues. "It is about those of us who live ordinary lives in this remarkable time in world history. ... Perhaps, as a result of reading these accounts, there will be more people inspired to make their own mark upon the world."
"The Mark of a Giant" examines the lives and contributions of seven men and women who left an impact on the world: Abraham of Ur, Pericles, the Apostle Paul, Sir Isaac Newton, Marie Curie, Martin Luther King Jr. and Mother Teresa.
Stewart acknowledges the list is too short. "It is undeniably true that many, many women and men have been responsible for altering history for the good of all mankind," he wrote. Even so, in reading the book, he hopes readers will discover insight as to how these seven became great.
Stewart was appointed as a United States District Court Judge in 1999 by U.S. President Bill Clinton. Prior to that, he served as chief of staff to Utah Gov. Michael O. Leavitt, as executive director of the State Department of Natural Resources, as a member and chairman of the Public Service Commission and as chief of staff to Congressman Jim Hansen. He has been a visiting professor at two state universities, teaching courses in law and public policy. Stewart co-authored "The Miracle of Freedom: Seven Tipping Points that Saved the World" and "Seven Miracles that Saved America" with his brother, Chris Stewart.
Email: email@example.com Twitter: tbtoone
- Elder Holland, David Archuleta promote 'Meet...
- 35 memorable photos from the LDS Church News...
- Carrie Underwood shares her Christian faith...
- LDS temples grow ever closer to members
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- 2 LDS teens create video to share Mormon beliefs
- Utah woman writes new verse for LDS Cultural...
- LDS priesthood restoration site, new movie,...
- Republicans rallying behind religious... 32
- FamilySearch provides LDS members with... 17
- LDS Church leaders share excitement for... 14
- LDS temples grow ever closer to members 6
- Religious leaders agree ISIS must be... 5
- LDS priesthood restoration site, new... 4
- Here's how you and your spouse can... 3
- Jerry Earl Johnston: A celebrated... 3