Commentary: The 15 best pass-catching running backs in BYU history
Tom Smart, Deseret News
BYU’s legacy, where college football is concerned, is with their quarterbacks. BYU's football history is littered with All-Americans, Davey O’Brien and Sammy Baugh winners as well as a Heisman Trophy winner.
While these accomplishments are great, none of those awards would have been earned without great wide receivers, tight ends and pass-catching running backs.
In a three part series, I look back and analyze the players at each of these positions to decide who the best of the best in Cougar history are, beginning with the running backs.
The running backs are ranked only by their abilities as receivers. My ranking has nothing to do with what they did as rushers or pass blockers. Their stats also include bowl games.
Coming up with a list of only 15 players was very difficult because there have been so many great receivers out of the backfield.
Those who just missed the cut still deserve mention. Scott Pettis, Waymon Hamilton, Eddie Stinnett, J.J. DiLuigi and Jeff Blanc were all effective dual-threat backs at BYU and helped the Cougars win many games.
- Brazil nabs 10 IS backers in Olympics...
- Oklahoma State forward Tyrek Coger dies after...
- Jeff Gordon readies for the Brickyard in...
- Froome crashes in Tour, finishes stage with...
- Former NFL coach Dennis Green dies at 67
- Warriors' Draymond Green settles assault case...
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of Charlotte...
- Froome keeps lead intact, set to secure 3rd...
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 98
- Morning links: National college... 96
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 80
- BYU football coaching staff upbeat... 34
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 32
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts... 31
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of... 7
- Doug Robinson: Why this mother of four... 5