Sandy man charged with murder in death of wife's grandmother
SANDY — A Sandy man accused of killing his wife's grandmother has been charged with murder.
Kevin David Cuillard, 40, was charged with one count of murder, a first-degree felony, Friday in 3rd District Court.
On June 20, Cuillard walked into his house, 10164 S. Bannor Hill Road (1985 East), from his garage carrying a golf club, according to charging documents. His wife asked him what he was doing.
Cuillard walked into the bedroom of 85-year-old Arla "Caroline" Christensen, his wife's grandmother, and locked the door behind him.
The Utah State Medical Examiner determined the cause of Christensen's death to be strangulation and blunt force trauma.
When he was arrested, police reported that Cuillard's wife told investigators that her husband had a history of severe mental illness and had not been sleeping in recent days or taking his medication. When she called 911, she reported her husband was having a "psychotic episode."
When he was taken into custody and interviewed by detectives, they noted, "Kevin appeared to be suffering from a psychotic break," according to the police report. "He stated that he had to do what he did to make things better. In his mind, had he not done it, things would have been worse. He refused to elaborate."
Cuillard's initial court appearance was scheduled for Wednesday.
— Pat Reavy
- UDOT announces road project schedule for 2015
- Prison Relocation Commission ready to dial...
- Can you name your U.S. Representative? See...
- Eagle Mountain man killed in alleged domestic...
- Hope in a crisis: School, community leaders...
- Educators call for funding, legislation to...
- Washington Terrace woman found dead, 2 in...
- Doug Robinson: Managing a delicate balance
- Officer in parade controversy speaks... 266
- Gov. Herbert increases pressure on... 52
- Illinois professor could help Utah... 43
- House Speaker Greg Hughes kills hopes... 34
- Utah Senate rejects delay to Count My... 19
- Lawmakers consider academic turnaround... 17
- Some GOP House members disagree with... 16
- Hope in a crisis: School, community... 16