Miley Cyrus proves parents must be careful about kids’ role models
A recent online survey of 2,407 parents revealed 68 percent of parents think Miley Cyrus is a bad role model for their children — making Cyrus the top female vote getter in a field of celebrity ne’er-do-wells that included the likes of Lindsay Lohan (65 percent) and Kim Kardashian (63 percent).
Utilizing that survey as a news hook, Naomi Schaefer Riley penned a Sunday op-ed piece for the New York Post about how and why parents who trusted Cyrus to be a role model vis-à-vis the Disney-sanctioned Hannah Montana brand are now seeing that decision blow up in their faces.
“This is a danger inherent in allowing our children to get caught up in the lives of stars their age, or a little older,” Riley wrote. “Watching them ‘grow up’ gives us a false sense of familiarity with them. Oh, they like to hang out with their friends and try on clothes and act goofy. Just like our kids. Miley would never do something outrageous, we tell ourselves. As if we have any idea who this person really is.”
Riley subsequently suggested that parents could instead focus their kids’ adoration on heroes who are “dead (or) fictional,” in order to avoid encouraging children to idolize celebrities like Cyrus who may later descend into patterns of undesirable behavior.
In addition to Riley’s New York Post column, the Huffington Post and New York Daily News also reported about the recent survey of 2,407 U.S. parents, which was conducted by CouponCodes4U.com. Per that same survey, the worst male celebrity role models are Chris Brown (71 percent), Kanye West (67 percent) and Justin Bieber (65 percent).
- Want to improve your marriage? Get a hobby,...
- Why do we need an R-rated Hobbit movie?
- ‘Jackie & Ryan’ showcases beauty...
- The Clean Cut: 5-year-old British boy reacts...
- Utah company brings Disney characters to...
- Mother, former LDS seminary teacher creates...
- How to thrive in college: A freshman survival...
- 'Once I Was a Beehive' gets national release
- Why do we need an R-rated Hobbit movie? 14
- Parents using infertility treatment to... 7
- Teens are shopping more like their... 6
- Want to improve your marriage? Get a... 6
- Sherry Young: A mother's glimpse into... 5
- Ground to be broken Thursday afternoon... 5
- Trust, forgiveness and repentance are... 5
- Want your marriage to last? Have... 5