Miley Cyrus proves parents must be careful about kids’ role models
A recent online survey of 2,407 parents revealed 68 percent of parents think Miley Cyrus is a bad role model for their children — making Cyrus the top female vote getter in a field of celebrity ne’er-do-wells that included the likes of Lindsay Lohan (65 percent) and Kim Kardashian (63 percent).
Utilizing that survey as a news hook, Naomi Schaefer Riley penned a Sunday op-ed piece for the New York Post about how and why parents who trusted Cyrus to be a role model vis-à-vis the Disney-sanctioned Hannah Montana brand are now seeing that decision blow up in their faces.
“This is a danger inherent in allowing our children to get caught up in the lives of stars their age, or a little older,” Riley wrote. “Watching them ‘grow up’ gives us a false sense of familiarity with them. Oh, they like to hang out with their friends and try on clothes and act goofy. Just like our kids. Miley would never do something outrageous, we tell ourselves. As if we have any idea who this person really is.”
Riley subsequently suggested that parents could instead focus their kids’ adoration on heroes who are “dead (or) fictional,” in order to avoid encouraging children to idolize celebrities like Cyrus who may later descend into patterns of undesirable behavior.
In addition to Riley’s New York Post column, the Huffington Post and New York Daily News also reported about the recent survey of 2,407 U.S. parents, which was conducted by CouponCodes4U.com. Per that same survey, the worst male celebrity role models are Chris Brown (71 percent), Kanye West (67 percent) and Justin Bieber (65 percent).
- Do we really need milk?
- Your triplets just got even more special
- The Clean Cut: Christian musician releases...
- Wal-Mart brings back greeters at the store door
- It's May the Fourth: What's next for the Star...
- Five for Families: Live-action Disney films...
- After more than 6 years, 3 families yearn for...
- 'Biggest Losers' show why we regain lost weight
- Do we really need milk? 22
- After more than 6 years, 3 families... 12
- 'Biggest Losers' show why we regain... 7
- Crowdfund a divorce? Sites let you... 3
- Unwanted pets find new homes in... 3
- It's May the Fourth: What's next for... 2
- Two Utah men competing in St. George... 2
- The Clean Cut: Real Salt Lake goalie... 2