Ben Margot, AP
Former Ute Alex Smith is a Super Bowl caliber quarterback, says Kansas City running back Jamaal Charles, according to NFL.com.
"He's the man. We believe in him, we trust in him, we want him to make plays for us," Charles said in an interview with NFL.com's Around The League.
Charles, who came back from a torn ACL to lead the AFC in rushing in 2012, said that he can relate to the adversity Smith faced last season. Smith was benched in favor of Colin Kaepernick and eventually traded by the San Francisco 49ers after a series of concussions last season, despite leading the league in passer rating and completion percentage through 10 games.
"I mean, he don't want to talk about it, but it bothered him, like it bothered me when I got hurt," Charles told the site. "He's been winning most all of his career. I think he wants to prove people wrong: That he is a good quarterback, that he can stay consistent."
Charles also gave a glowing review of new head coach Andy Reid.
"I get goosebumps just talking about it because his system is just so perfect for me," Charles told NFL.com. "The sky's the limit for me in this offense."
Editor's Note: The original version of this story posted on July 1, 2013, failed to properly follow our editorial policies. The story was modified on Oct. 10, 2013, to fall within our editorial guidelines for aggregation.
- Questions aplenty as Utah Jazz begin training...
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- Heisman Trophy tracker, week 5: Taysom Hill...
- Dick Harmon: NFL's Goodell seeks out Ty...
- Ranking the starting point guards in the NBA...
- BYU players endured tougher-than-usual...
- BYU football: LB commit Jeremiah Ieremia says...
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured in-state game'
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 291
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 93
- Things won't get any easier for... 81
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 57
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 54
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes... 44
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39
- Mike Leach, the most interesting man in... 37