Ben Margot, AP
Former Ute Alex Smith is a Super Bowl caliber quarterback, says Kansas City running back Jamaal Charles, according to NFL.com.
"He's the man. We believe in him, we trust in him, we want him to make plays for us," Charles said in an interview with NFL.com's Around The League.
Charles, who came back from a torn ACL to lead the AFC in rushing in 2012, said that he can relate to the adversity Smith faced last season. Smith was benched in favor of Colin Kaepernick and eventually traded by the San Francisco 49ers after a series of concussions last season, despite leading the league in passer rating and completion percentage through 10 games.
"I mean, he don't want to talk about it, but it bothered him, like it bothered me when I got hurt," Charles told the site. "He's been winning most all of his career. I think he wants to prove people wrong: That he is a good quarterback, that he can stay consistent."
Charles also gave a glowing review of new head coach Andy Reid.
"I get goosebumps just talking about it because his system is just so perfect for me," Charles told NFL.com. "The sky's the limit for me in this offense."
Editor's Note: The original version of this story posted on July 1, 2013, failed to properly follow our editorial policies. The story was modified on Oct. 10, 2013, to fall within our editorial guidelines for aggregation.
- Utah high schoolers who've reached the Super...
- Doug Robinson: 'In Football We Trust'...
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around as...
- Former Utah Jazz guard Deron Williams had...
- Utes get it done at home again
- Utah Utes still pursuing several big-time...
- BYU basketball analysis: Why the Cougars...
- Dick Harmon: Texas speedster Charles West...
- Brad Rock: BYU asleep at the switch on... 98
- BYU, Michigan State agree to... 89
- Peavler: Can BYU football rise up to... 61
- Dick Harmon: BYU continuing new policy... 55
- Utah football: Utes add former BYU... 51
- San Diego hands BYU its second straight... 37
- Dick Harmon: Texas speedster Charles... 28
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around... 23