Man dies from explosion while trying to make own fireworks, authorities say
Robert F. Bukaty, AP
An explosion in a trailer Sunday left a Virginia man dead; authorities believe he was trying to manufacture his own fireworks at the time of the blast for an annual Fourth of July party.
CBS 6 reports that authorities found Kelly Leplante lying in the debris with life-threatening injuries after the explosion. He was taken to the medical center at Virginia Commonwealth University, where he later died.
The explosion occurred just after 10 a.m. in Dinwiddie County, Va. First responders found the trailer with heavy explosive damage on one side.
“There was a large quantity of fireworks in that trailer; it looks like the subject was trying to make some of his own fireworks,” Dennis Hale, chief of fire and EMS in Dinwiddie County, told CBS 6.
"Leplantes wife and daughter were not injured as they were in the family home at the time of the explosion. The family home sits on the same property near the trailer," according to CBS 6.
Editor's Note: The original version of this story posted on July 1, 2013, failed to properly attribute all source materials, which violates our editorial policies. The story was revised on Oct. 8, 2013, to attribute original source material.
- Elder L. Tom Perry's cancer terminal, 'has...
- The top 10 highest-paid female CEOs
- Feds release sage grouse conservation plans...
- South Africa shaken by FIFA corruption probe
- Study says girls seek sisterhood in the...
- Psychiatrist: Colorado theater shooter 'knew...
- Administration asks skeptical judge to toss...
- Southern Arizona residents protest Border...
- Elder L. Tom Perry's cancer terminal,... 22
- PacSun pulls T-shirt from shelves after... 14
- 'Such a stress reliever': In Rhode... 13
- Gays wake up to changed Ireland, let... 12
- Family stress and poverty affect... 12
- US to 'fine tune' Iraq strategy in... 11
- The Rohingyas: A look into one of the... 9
- Census: Number of Americans on public... 8