Man dies from explosion while trying to make own fireworks, authorities say
Robert F. Bukaty, AP
An explosion in a trailer Sunday left a Virginia man dead; authorities believe he was trying to manufacture his own fireworks at the time of the blast for an annual Fourth of July party.
CBS 6 reports that authorities found Kelly Leplante lying in the debris with life-threatening injuries after the explosion. He was taken to the medical center at Virginia Commonwealth University, where he later died.
The explosion occurred just after 10 a.m. in Dinwiddie County, Va. First responders found the trailer with heavy explosive damage on one side.
“There was a large quantity of fireworks in that trailer; it looks like the subject was trying to make some of his own fireworks,” Dennis Hale, chief of fire and EMS in Dinwiddie County, told CBS 6.
"Leplantes wife and daughter were not injured as they were in the family home at the time of the explosion. The family home sits on the same property near the trailer," according to CBS 6.
Editor's Note: The original version of this story posted on July 1, 2013, failed to properly attribute all source materials, which violates our editorial policies. The story was revised on Oct. 8, 2013, to attribute original source material.
- Watch live at the Democratic National Convention
- Germany: Syrian asylum seekers blows himself...
- Verizon buys Yahoo for $4.83B, marking end of...
- Gunfire at teen nightclub party leaves 2...
- Trump taunts claims that Russia hacked DNC...
- Dems' division, emails roil party on Day 1 of...
- Athletes using sports platforms to push for...
- Germany: IS claims responsibility for attack...
- If Mitt Romney endorsed Gary Johnson,... 69
- Hillary Clinton promises steady hand in... 56
- Sarah Silverman: Bernie-or-bust Dems... 49
- Is Bernie Sanders an atheist? 44
- Trump says Russia should find Clinton's... 43
- Obama boosts Clinton: Carry her like... 41
- Clinton wins historic nomination,... 37
- After turmoil, Sanders, Michelle Obama,... 31