Man dies from explosion while trying to make own fireworks, authorities say
Robert F. Bukaty, AP
An explosion in a trailer Sunday left a Virginia man dead; authorities believe he was trying to manufacture his own fireworks at the time of the blast for an annual Fourth of July party.
CBS 6 reports that authorities found Kelly Leplante lying in the debris with life-threatening injuries after the explosion. He was taken to the medical center at Virginia Commonwealth University, where he later died.
The explosion occurred just after 10 a.m. in Dinwiddie County, Va. First responders found the trailer with heavy explosive damage on one side.
“There was a large quantity of fireworks in that trailer; it looks like the subject was trying to make some of his own fireworks,” Dennis Hale, chief of fire and EMS in Dinwiddie County, told CBS 6.
"Leplantes wife and daughter were not injured as they were in the family home at the time of the explosion. The family home sits on the same property near the trailer," according to CBS 6.
Editor's Note: The original version of this story posted on July 1, 2013, failed to properly attribute all source materials, which violates our editorial policies. The story was revised on Oct. 8, 2013, to attribute original source material.
- Security breached: Intruder gets into White...
- 'The Voice' returns Monday with Pharrell,...
- Tense hunt in trooper ambush case hits 8 days
- 11 best—and worst—state tax systems
- Second man arrested trying to enter White...
- After vote to stay in UK, Scots must heal divide
- Italian village honoring pilots of WWII US...
- Actress detained by police refuses to apologize
- Striking or spanking a child is not a... 19
- School police stock up on free military... 11
- Yellen says US families need to boost... 10
- Security breached: Intruder gets into... 8
- How much America wants to be taxed 8
- New Jersey loses 4th casino as Trump... 5
- Vikings place Adrian Peterson on exempt... 5
- US to assign 3,000 from US military to... 4