"They're going after him hard," Kennedy wrote on Twitter.
Mayo is a 6-foot-4 shooting guard who averaged 15.3 points and shot 40.7 percent from the 3-point line last season in Dallas. The 25-year-old USC product has been in the NBA for five seasons.
Utah also reportedly "officially inquired about Chris Copeland" after the free-agency period began, according to ESPN's Jared Zwerling.
Copeland is a 6-8 small forward who averaged 8.7 points and 2.1 rebounds for the Knicks last year. He's 29 but has only played one season in the NBA.
Yahoo! Sports reported that Wolves forward Chase Budinger and Spurs center Tiago Splitter are also possible Jazz targets.
In one other report of interest, ESPN also reported that former Jazz sharpshooter Kyle Korver could end up reuniting with ex-Utah star Deron Williams in Brooklyn at a reduced salary.
Utah only has about $28.5 million in contracts on the books — even after Burke and Gobert sign — and will have to pay at least $24 million more to hit the NBA's salary minimum.
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- BYU fan reflects: 6 lessons I learned at...
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- Utah Jazz: Jazz forward Richard Jefferson...
- NFL watch: How local players fared in week 14...
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 104
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 98
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 81
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 68
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 50
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU... 48
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes... 34