Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
GARDEN CITY, Rich County — A 22-year-old man was killed by carbon monoxide poisoning over the weekend while boating on Bear Lake.
The Rich County Sheriff's Office received a 911 call about 7:15 p.m. Saturday from members of a group boating on the lake, saying they thought one of their passengers was suffering from heat stroke.
Emergency crews met the boat as it docked at the Bear Lake State Park Marina. The man's friends performed CPR as the boat was making its way to the marina, according to a statement from the sheriff's office.
"EMS continued medical intervention for approximately one hour. In spite of all efforts, the victim was pronounced dead at the scene at (8:32 p.m.)," according to the statement.
The Utah State Medical Examiner's Office conducted an autopsy and determined the cause of death to be carbon monoxide poisoning.
The group was in an older boat that did not have an outboard engine, according to the sheriff's office. They believe the man was the only person on the boat who spent significant time pulling skiers and swimmers out of the water near the rear of the boat where the exhaust pipe was located.
None of the other passengers on the boat suffered from carbon monoxide poisoning, according to the sheriff's office.
— Pat Reavy
- Two bodies discovered near Provo's Squaw Peak
- Tabernacle Choir performs Handel's 'Messiah'...
- 2-year-old boy dies from accidental shooting...
- Police make arrest in death of 59-year-old...
- No aftershocks from Saturday's Tooele quake
- Film about man's crusade against child sex...
- Family 'shocked' over Taylorsville woman's death
- Western states to feds: Turn over public lands
- Atheists, Mormon scholars talk religion 90
- At UVU, Elder Oaks sees hope despite... 79
- Utah, Oklahoma same-sex marriage cases... 47
- Appeals judges question right to sue in... 28
- Autopsies of 7 infants completed;... 24
- Texas seizes FLDS Church's secluded ranch 24
- 2-year-old boy dies from accidental... 18
- Salt Lake City's inversion problem... 13