Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
GARDEN CITY, Rich County — A 22-year-old man was killed by carbon monoxide poisoning over the weekend while boating on Bear Lake.
The Rich County Sheriff's Office received a 911 call about 7:15 p.m. Saturday from members of a group boating on the lake, saying they thought one of their passengers was suffering from heat stroke.
Emergency crews met the boat as it docked at the Bear Lake State Park Marina. The man's friends performed CPR as the boat was making its way to the marina, according to a statement from the sheriff's office.
"EMS continued medical intervention for approximately one hour. In spite of all efforts, the victim was pronounced dead at the scene at (8:32 p.m.)," according to the statement.
The Utah State Medical Examiner's Office conducted an autopsy and determined the cause of death to be carbon monoxide poisoning.
The group was in an older boat that did not have an outboard engine, according to the sheriff's office. They believe the man was the only person on the boat who spent significant time pulling skiers and swimmers out of the water near the rear of the boat where the exhaust pipe was located.
None of the other passengers on the boat suffered from carbon monoxide poisoning, according to the sheriff's office.
— Pat Reavy
- Man killed in avalanche had a passion for...
- Community comes together to surprise...
- About Utah: Company helps show 'you don't win...
- Photos: Olympian Noelle Pikus-Pace speaks to...
- 'We're not going to stop'
- Behind the masks: Why some Utahns choose...
- No money for House Speaker Becky Lockhart's...
- Family of BYU student hit by car say they are...
- Utah Democrats offer full Medicaid... 34
- Gov. Herbert threatens veto of House... 31
- Judge: Biological father will share... 28
- The story of a fish, a river and what's... 24
- Local religious leaders urge support... 24
- Cities, state battle panhandling... 22
- Utah unemployment rate hits five-year low 16
- Dog lovers walk to support anti-bias... 11