Campfire idea sparks teen entrepreneurs to launch new business in just 9 months
“You take biscuit dough, form it over the wooden dowel and cook it over a fire for about three minutes,” explained Julie Harrison. “When you pull it off, it forms a cup that you fill with pudding or pie filling, then slather it with whipped cream and you wolf it down.”
She said people could create their own treats using chocolate, strawberries or any other favorite snack or food ingredients. The idea was conceived after a visit to a relative’s home where coat hangers were used to roast snacks on.
The boys set up a booth at the recent event and demonstrated their product to hundreds of interested customers. Over one weekend, they sold 250 Wolf 'Em Sticks.
"One of every three people who made one, bought a stick," Julie Harrsion said. "It was very, very well-received."
They hope the new product — which sold for $13 apiece or two for $20 — will be a hit at Scout camps, family camping trips or just with friends enjoying a fire in the backyard. Currently, the product is sold at one retail location — Motor Sportsland, an RV dealership in Salt Lake City. Salespeople at the store show customers how the product is used, which draws more interest, she noted.
The company hopes to expand sales into Canada and Mexico by next year, she said.
Tanner Harrison said he was surprised by the success he and his brother have had thus far — just a few months after enrolling in a local entrepreneur program.
“Thinking back, it’s amazing to see what we have developed,” he said. “It’s exceeded my expectations.”
- Knocking doors: What to know before signing...
- Lawmakers looking to pump up gas tax this...
- Young adults prefer to share chores and...
- Are you part of the global 'baby shortage'?
- Nintendo opens 2015 with some big announcements
- Kimberly Rotter: 7 weird things that affect...
- Greek radical left wins election, threatening...
- Rocky Mountain Power offers energy-saving...
- Lawmakers looking to pump up gas tax... 58
- Utah has fourth largest gender wage... 12
- Are you part of the global 'baby... 12
- Another study lists Salt Lake as one of... 10
- Obama idea to trim college savings... 6
- Does taking advantage of family leave... 4
- Greek radical left wins election,... 3
- Knocking doors: What to know before... 3