Campfire idea sparks teen entrepreneurs to launch new business in just 9 months
“You take biscuit dough, form it over the wooden dowel and cook it over a fire for about three minutes,” explained Julie Harrison. “When you pull it off, it forms a cup that you fill with pudding or pie filling, then slather it with whipped cream and you wolf it down.”
She said people could create their own treats using chocolate, strawberries or any other favorite snack or food ingredients. The idea was conceived after a visit to a relative’s home where coat hangers were used to roast snacks on.
The boys set up a booth at the recent event and demonstrated their product to hundreds of interested customers. Over one weekend, they sold 250 Wolf 'Em Sticks.
"One of every three people who made one, bought a stick," Julie Harrsion said. "It was very, very well-received."
They hope the new product — which sold for $13 apiece or two for $20 — will be a hit at Scout camps, family camping trips or just with friends enjoying a fire in the backyard. Currently, the product is sold at one retail location — Motor Sportsland, an RV dealership in Salt Lake City. Salespeople at the store show customers how the product is used, which draws more interest, she noted.
The company hopes to expand sales into Canada and Mexico by next year, she said.
Tanner Harrison said he was surprised by the success he and his brother have had thus far — just a few months after enrolling in a local entrepreneur program.
“Thinking back, it’s amazing to see what we have developed,” he said. “It’s exceeded my expectations.”
- What could McDonald's do to fix its business?
- How one woman unplugged from technology for...
- It can cost you $12,000 a year to buy...
- Utah construction companies fined, ordered to...
- Don't be surprised if you find your boss...
- Nibley water ban in place until at least...
- Photos: Sharing birthday wishes
- The other gender gap less people are talking...
- What could McDonald's do to fix its... 10
- Are you ready to start using a digital... 5
- Airline industry is least liked... 4
- How much money should you be saving... 4
- It can cost you $12,000 a year to buy... 3
- Photos: Sharing birthday wishes 2
- Why McDonald's is still a powerhouse,... 1
- US stocks waver as corporate earnings... 1