Brigham City teen killed, two others critical following crash
Utah Highway Patrol
TREMONTON, Box Elder County — A 16-year-old boy is dead and two of his friends are in critical condition after a rollover crash Friday afternoon.
Tyler Jason Stuart was killed instantly when he was ejected from the vehicle. None of the teens, who are from Brigham City, were wearing seat belts at the time of the crash.
The teens were driving south on I-15 about 4:15 p.m. when the Chevy pickup truck they were driving drifted out of its lane just before the freeway merges with I-84, said Utah Highway Patrol Lt. Lee Perry.
The driver, an 18-year-old male, overcorrected, bringing the truck back across I-15 and rolling it down an embankment onto I-84. Stuart and a 16-year-old girl were ejected from the truck and landed on the pavement.
The girl was taken to a hospital in Tremonton before being transported by medical helicopter to University Hospital in Salt Lake City. She was in "extremely critical condition" Friday night, Perry said.
The driver was extricated from the mangled vehicle and taken to a Tremonton hospital, then taken by medical helicopter to Intermountain Medical Center.
It's unclear why the vehicle crashed, Perry said. Investigators said they didn't see immediate evidence of excessive speed or equipment failure.
— McKenzie Romero
- Parade spectators celebrate pioneers past and...
- A photographic look back at the Days of '47...
- Draper house explodes into flames (+videos)
- Student attitudes changing on healthy school...
- Head-on collision kills 2, injures 3 in Eagle...
- Rare cancer treatment leaves Provo teen hopeful
- Missouri hiker found dead in hot Wayne County...
- See what the pioneers thought, felt as they...
- Herbert among 6 governors raising... 46
- Union Pacific train makes special... 15
- Renewable energy advocates decry... 15
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake... 14
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed... 13
- Protesters from across U.S. arrested at... 13
- 'No trespassing' sign may not stop... 13
- New solar panels are symbol of the... 11