Brigham City teen killed, two others critical following crash
Utah Highway Patrol
TREMONTON, Box Elder County — A 16-year-old boy is dead and two of his friends are in critical condition after a rollover crash Friday afternoon.
Tyler Jason Stuart was killed instantly when he was ejected from the vehicle. None of the teens, who are from Brigham City, were wearing seat belts at the time of the crash.
The teens were driving south on I-15 about 4:15 p.m. when the Chevy pickup truck they were driving drifted out of its lane just before the freeway merges with I-84, said Utah Highway Patrol Lt. Lee Perry.
The driver, an 18-year-old male, overcorrected, bringing the truck back across I-15 and rolling it down an embankment onto I-84. Stuart and a 16-year-old girl were ejected from the truck and landed on the pavement.
The girl was taken to a hospital in Tremonton before being transported by medical helicopter to University Hospital in Salt Lake City. She was in "extremely critical condition" Friday night, Perry said.
The driver was extricated from the mangled vehicle and taken to a Tremonton hospital, then taken by medical helicopter to Intermountain Medical Center.
It's unclear why the vehicle crashed, Perry said. Investigators said they didn't see immediate evidence of excessive speed or equipment failure.
— McKenzie Romero
- Bingham High students walk out over dress code
- President Monson rededicates Ogden Utah Temple
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- Shots fired after fight at high school in...
- Utah's expanding Hispanic business at center...
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Creativity of ALS ice bucket challenge boosts...
- Big screen 'Maze Runner' is a big dream come...
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 166
- Bingham High students walk out over... 90
- Pro same-sex marriage group responds to... 87
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 38
- Police release names of officers... 37
- Poll: Utahns in favor of school... 27
- Mitt Romney to campaign for Mia Love in... 19
- Can Utah solve its surprising binge... 18