Utah Highway Patrol
TREMONTON, Box Elder County — A 16-year-old boy is dead and two of his friends are in critical condition after a rollover crash Friday afternoon.
Tyler Jason Stuart was killed instantly when he was ejected from the vehicle. None of the teens, who are from Brigham City, were wearing seat belts at the time of the crash.
The teens were driving south on I-15 about 4:15 p.m. when the Chevy pickup truck they were driving drifted out of its lane just before the freeway merges with I-84, said Utah Highway Patrol Lt. Lee Perry.
The driver, an 18-year-old male, overcorrected, bringing the truck back across I-15 and rolling it down an embankment onto I-84. Stuart and a 16-year-old girl were ejected from the truck and landed on the pavement.
The girl was taken to a hospital in Tremonton before being transported by medical helicopter to University Hospital in Salt Lake City. She was in "extremely critical condition" Friday night, Perry said.
The driver was extricated from the mangled vehicle and taken to a Tremonton hospital, then taken by medical helicopter to Intermountain Medical Center.
It's unclear why the vehicle crashed, Perry said. Investigators said they didn't see immediate evidence of excessive speed or equipment failure.
— McKenzie Romero
- Better than a raise: The smallest thing you...
- Many Mormon missionaries who return home...
- Utah husband wins 'Most Memorable Moment'...
- Supervolcano hidden in plain sight in Utah...
- Nurse threatened to kill patient after...
- Doug Robinson: We are in the midst of an era...
- Skier rescued from Alta avalanche by...
- Charges: Naked man bites dog
- Many Mormon missionaries who return... 123
- Legal analysis supports Utah's law on... 36
- As winter takes hold, needs increase... 29
- Martin MacNeill cuts self with razor in... 15
- Do Utah high school students need four... 15
- Rare snowstorm traps I-15 motorists... 13
- John Swallow lost computer hard drive... 12
- 'Deseret News Sunday Edition' looks at... 10