Brigham City teen killed, two others critical following crash
Utah Highway Patrol
TREMONTON, Box Elder County — A 16-year-old boy is dead and two of his friends are in critical condition after a rollover crash Friday afternoon.
Tyler Jason Stuart was killed instantly when he was ejected from the vehicle. None of the teens, who are from Brigham City, were wearing seat belts at the time of the crash.
The teens were driving south on I-15 about 4:15 p.m. when the Chevy pickup truck they were driving drifted out of its lane just before the freeway merges with I-84, said Utah Highway Patrol Lt. Lee Perry.
The driver, an 18-year-old male, overcorrected, bringing the truck back across I-15 and rolling it down an embankment onto I-84. Stuart and a 16-year-old girl were ejected from the truck and landed on the pavement.
The girl was taken to a hospital in Tremonton before being transported by medical helicopter to University Hospital in Salt Lake City. She was in "extremely critical condition" Friday night, Perry said.
The driver was extricated from the mangled vehicle and taken to a Tremonton hospital, then taken by medical helicopter to Intermountain Medical Center.
It's unclear why the vehicle crashed, Perry said. Investigators said they didn't see immediate evidence of excessive speed or equipment failure.
— McKenzie Romero
- 2 homes, 3 other buildings damaged in...
- How new technology is reshaping pacemakers
- Why Pioneer Day is so important to Utahns
- Friction over Trump between GOP, Utah...
- Too many boaters not stopping for quagga...
- Jordan board calls for special bond election...
- Family of slain man who killed police K9...
- Crash launches engine 100 feet, but seat belt...
- Utah delegates finally stand and cheer... 93
- Utah GOP delegates finally fired up... 74
- Friction over Trump between GOP, Utah... 64
- The day after: Lee defends Cruz at GOP... 30
- Should mountain biking be allowed in... 28
- Prosecutor rails on DOJ handling of... 18
- Local government board fostered... 16
- 2 charged in attack on gay men;... 16