Utah Blaze: After tumultuous week, Blaze host San Jose at EnergySolutions Arena
Kristin Murphy, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — The Utah Blaze return home after a tumultuous week that saw them fall to Spokane by nearly 40 points while their front office dealt with significant financial issues that caused the franchise to be temporarily evicted from EnergySolutions Arena.
With the lingering financial question marks answered for the time being, the Blaze (5-8) host San Jose (9-4) at 7 p.m. at EnergySolutions Arena, where they've since returned. The SaberCats topped Utah by single point behind quarterback Russ Michna on May 25.
Jason Boltus is expected to make his third-consecutive start behind center for Utah after throwing for 362 yards and six touchdowns in a 81-40 loss at Spokane. Boltus and receiver Mario Urrutia have developed a strong connection in the passing game.
San Jose will unleash Clevan Thomas, who leads the AFL with nine interceptions, to stop the Blaze combo. The ‘Cats rank second in total defense and passing defense this season.
- BYU shocks No. 3 Gonzaga 73-70
- 20 questions: How well do you know Tyler...
- BYU jumps into national spotlight after big...
- BYU basketball analysis: How the Cougars held...
- Holmoe assesses the state of the program as...
- Skyler Halford helps key BYU's late-season...
- How about a Utah-BYU matchup in NCAA tournament?
- Utes come up short in Pac-12 battle with Arizona
- BYU shocks No. 3 Gonzaga 73-70 102
- Peavler: BYU and Utah would both be... 92
- Utes come up short in Pac-12 battle... 76
- Dick Harmon: Holmoe's outward interest... 64
- Utes bounce back, blast Sun Devils 50
- Morning links: Utah coaching job... 30
- Morning links: Examining BYU's at-large... 29
- BYU looking forward to big showdown at... 27