Brother stole gun that accidentally fired, shooting his sister, police say
Courtesy of KSL.
CLEARFIELD — A 16-year-old boy who police say accidentally shot his younger sister reportedly obtained his gun by stealing it from a vehicle a year ago.
On Thursday, the teen was "playing" with a fully loaded .22-caliber revolver inside his home, 221 N. 360 West, when it accidentally went off, striking his 12-year-old sister in the back of her shoulder, said Clearfield Assistant Police Chief Mike Stenquist. The bullet exited through her arm.
She was conscious and communicating with paramedics before she was flown by medical helicopter to Primary Children's Medical Center. The girl was reported to be in stable condition Friday, he said.
The brother told investigators he took the gun during a car burglary in Clinton about a year ago. Though Stenquist said detectives believe the teen's story about stealing it from a vehicle, as of Friday they had not been able to corroborate all of his story or verify where the gun came from.
Investigators were also looking Friday at whether the boy could be linked to any other unsolved car burglaries. Whether the teen's parents knew the teen had the gun was also being investigated Friday, Stenquist said.
Police were expected to present the case to the Davis County Attorney's Office to consider criminal charges, he said.
Investigators had not yet released the names of either the brother or sister.
— Pat Reavy
- Lehi toddler killed in accident remembered as...
- Preparing to split up, LDS General Primary...
- A river runs dry: Water and the future of...
- Cyclist killed on training run after...
- Photo gallery: Holi festival immerses Utahns...
- Utah taxpayers will pay millions more in wake...
- American Fork cyclist killed during training...
- Boy, 3, killed in Lehi scooter accident
- President Obama to make first trip to... 114
- Sen. Harry Reid's retirement recalls... 41
- Utah taxpayers will pay millions more... 41
- Obama expected to stay overnight in... 32
- School leaders look for solutions to... 24
- Cyclist killed on training run after... 23
- A river runs dry: Water and the future... 15
- Man who crashed truck into house... 12