Time for women to 'get real' about their retirement health costs
Kerry Hannon says women need to think more carefully about their retirement health care costs.
In her article, “Women: get real about retirement health costs” for Forbes, Hannon references a study by professors Allison Hoffman and Howell Jackson that shows women tend to underestimate their future health care costs more than men.
“When the researchers asked 1,700 near-retirees and retirees how much they expect their out-of-pocket health expenses to total in the future, the projections from female participants were 50 percent lower than the estimates of their male counterparts,” Hannon wrote.
“But medical experts estimate that the typical woman will actually spend 50 percent more for health care in retirement than the typical man.”
To help women plan their retirement health care, Hannon gives seven tips to help them “get a grip” on their retirement health expenses:
- Be certain to budget for health costs, including long-term care.
- Find a financial pro to help estimate health costs in retirement and beef up your savings.
- Build a good-sized emergency fund — and don’t let it dissipate.
- Open a health savings account.
- Work part-time in retirement, if you can.
- Take advantage of the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare).
- Get healthy, and stay that way.
- BYU grad strikes gold teaching via online...
- The 10 most livable small towns
- There's a video for that: How YouTube brings...
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't leave an estate with...
- Remodeling? Experts say some projects add to...
- Plan to simplify 2015 health renewals may...
- Closet clutter: How having fewer,...
- Fast food workers vow civil disobedience
- Most American high schoolers don't know... 14
- Fast food workers vow civil disobedience 13
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't leave an estate... 9
- BYU grad strikes gold teaching via... 9
- Does getting married really increase... 8
- Remodeling? Experts say some projects... 5
- Balancing act: Survey says lack of... 4
- Sneaky tricks restaurants use to make... 3