Time for women to 'get real' about their retirement health costs
Kerry Hannon says women need to think more carefully about their retirement health care costs.
In her article, “Women: get real about retirement health costs” for Forbes, Hannon references a study by professors Allison Hoffman and Howell Jackson that shows women tend to underestimate their future health care costs more than men.
“When the researchers asked 1,700 near-retirees and retirees how much they expect their out-of-pocket health expenses to total in the future, the projections from female participants were 50 percent lower than the estimates of their male counterparts,” Hannon wrote.
“But medical experts estimate that the typical woman will actually spend 50 percent more for health care in retirement than the typical man.”
To help women plan their retirement health care, Hannon gives seven tips to help them “get a grip” on their retirement health expenses:
- Be certain to budget for health costs, including long-term care.
- Find a financial pro to help estimate health costs in retirement and beef up your savings.
- Build a good-sized emergency fund — and don’t let it dissipate.
- Open a health savings account.
- Work part-time in retirement, if you can.
- Take advantage of the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare).
- Get healthy, and stay that way.
- 25 cities that are winning at education
- Consumers fuel steady US economy as rest of...
- 5 reasons your most talented employees will...
- 4 warning signs your teen is destined for bad...
- Germany to Greece: Don't mess with us over...
- Balancing act: Organizations slowly move...
- Child grooms of Nepal are married off as...
- Markets brace for Big Oil profit plunge
- Most K-12 students are now low income 10
- After setting iPhone record, what does... 5
- US consumer confidence jumps to 7... 3
- Obama to seek to bust spending limits... 3
- 5 reasons your most talented employees... 3
- Consumers fuel steady US economy as... 2
- Want a one-of-a-kind name for your... 2
- Tess Frame: Five reasons you’re... 1