Time for women to 'get real' about their retirement health costs
Kerry Hannon says women need to think more carefully about their retirement health care costs.
In her article, “Women: get real about retirement health costs” for Forbes, Hannon references a study by professors Allison Hoffman and Howell Jackson that shows women tend to underestimate their future health care costs more than men.
“When the researchers asked 1,700 near-retirees and retirees how much they expect their out-of-pocket health expenses to total in the future, the projections from female participants were 50 percent lower than the estimates of their male counterparts,” Hannon wrote.
“But medical experts estimate that the typical woman will actually spend 50 percent more for health care in retirement than the typical man.”
To help women plan their retirement health care, Hannon gives seven tips to help them “get a grip” on their retirement health expenses:
- Be certain to budget for health costs, including long-term care.
- Find a financial pro to help estimate health costs in retirement and beef up your savings.
- Build a good-sized emergency fund — and don’t let it dissipate.
- Open a health savings account.
- Work part-time in retirement, if you can.
- Take advantage of the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare).
- Get healthy, and stay that way.
- Here's a look at the 20 worst jobs of 2015...
- Balancing act: Does parenting bring...
- The 10 best cities in America for job seekers...
- The best states in America for balancing work...
- Dave Ramsey says: Build your budget together
- 'Such a stress reliever': In Rhode Island,...
- Index funds: A low cost way to solid...
- Is the 40-hour workweek falling out of fashion?
- Are schools preparing students for the... 18
- 'Such a stress reliever': In Rhode... 13
- Utah jobless rate holds steady at 3.4... 5
- Millennials are more depressed than... 3
- US consumer prices up a slight 0.1... 1
- Renovation Solutions: Top remodeling... 1
- Balancing act: Does parenting bring... 1
- Americans are very unsure about their... 1