Utah one of 9 states to earn 'triple-triple' bond rating
Ravell Call, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — The Utah Governor's Office announced Friday that Utah has received a AAA general obligation bond rating by all three bonding agencies — Standard & Poor’s, Moody’s Investors Service and Fitch Ratings.
Utah is one of only nine states to earn a AAA bond rating by all three of the rating agencies, known as a “triple-triple” rating.
Utah’s history of AAA bond ratings dates back to 1965 when Standard & Poor’s initiated its rating system. The state’s AAA rating with Moody’s dates back to 1973, and the Fitch Ratings date back to 1992.
“Utah’s consistent triple-triple rating is evidence of Utah’s deep-rooted commitment to fiscal discipline and budgetary restraint,” said Gov. Gary Herbert. “Utah is indeed fortunate to belong to an elite group of states that continues to lead the nation in economic growth and stability.”
The rationale for Utah’s ratings included economy growth and diversity; conservative debt and fiscal policies keeping debt levels at a moderate rate; timely action when addressing budgetary imbalances; a history of taking action to close budgetary gaps and prioritized building reserves; and successfully managed capital spending, especially for education and transportation.
“All three agencies offered a clear message,” said state treasurer Richard Ellis. “Utah exemplifies proper fiscal management and economic strength.”
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking...
- Police stumped about what caused Springville...
- Granite School District reaches agreement...
- Heavy rains flood homes, cemetery in Herriman
- Police probing what caused deaths of...
- Utah in wait-and-see mode on same-sex marriage
- Utahns losing thousands of dollars to phony...
- Eagle Mountain residents told not to use city...
- Students rally for beard 'revolution'... 78
- Utah gay marriage case first in line at... 57
- Mia Love declines to make joint... 50
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking... 37
- Coast-to-coast horseback ride against... 30
- Utah in wait-and-see mode on same-sex... 29
- Granite School District reaches... 20
- 2 Utah companies respond to FDA warning... 18