Utah Jazz spring second surprise on draft night, trade for French center Rudy Gobert
Burke wore No. 3 during his career at Michigan, but the Jazz already have a player wearing No. 3, backup forward DeMarre Carroll. The former Missouri forward is a free agent, but a lot of folks figure the Jazz will re-sign him this summer.
DEJA VU: Like they did in 2005, the Jazz traded their two first-round picks to move up in the draft to get Burke.
In ’05 the Jazz owned the No. 6 pick and the No. 27 pick and traded them to Portland for the No. 3 pick. Everybody knows the Jazz used that pick to get Deron Williams, who has turned into an all-star point guard.
But who did the Blazers get in return? A couple of forwards with remarkably similar, but average statistics.
At No. 6 they took Martell Webster, certainly not an All-Star-caliber player, and with the second pick they took Linas Kleiza, who has averaged 8.7 points and 3.3 rebounds in his seven seasons for Denver and Toronto.
Webster, who came out of a Seattle high school, has played in the league for eight years for three different teams and has averaged 8.9 points and 3.3 rebounds while starting approximately half the games he’s played in.
Folks also forget that there was another pick involved in the trade, a first-round pick (No. 30) in the 2006 draft, who the Blazers used for Joel Freeland, who played overseas for eight years before joining Portland this year.
NO WORKOUT: The Jazz had 72 players on their workout schedule this year between mid-May and mid-June. Burke, however, wasn't one of them. His agent preferred him not to work out for a team picking as low as No. 14 in the draft.
Burke worked out for most of the teams in the top eight, including Orlando on June 2 New Orleans on June 14. He worked out for the Kings, Suns and Pistons in the past week.
After his workouts, Burke told a Michigan paper he expected to go between the No. 2 and No. 7 picks before Detroit, his home state team, picked at No. 8. Instead he went a pick later at No. 9 to Minnesota.
- When it rains, it pours: Utes get washed away...
- High school football: Bingham accepts invite...
- BYU blanks hapless Savannah State, 64-0
- Despite the loss, Savannah State coach...
- High school football: Timpview overcomes...
- BYU's senior day emotional for Cougar coach...
- Dick Harmon: Utah tries to break out of...
- Jimmer Fredette trying to keep his head up as...
- BYU's Hill plans to return for senior... 115
- When it rains, it pours: Utes get... 94
- Runnin' Utes lose defensive battle at... 68
- Utes still have outside chance at... 36
- UHSAA's Board of Trustees assigns high... 35
- For BYU, it's not about opponent... 30
- BYU blanks hapless Savannah State, 64-0 25
- Freshman Jake Toolson leads Cougars... 21