15-year-old charged with murdering 2 younger brothers
Prosecutors will push to certify teen as an adult
FARMINGTON — A 15-year-old boy accused of killing his two younger brothers was charged Thursday with two counts of murder.
In conjunction with the charges filed in 2nd District Juvenile Court, Davis County Attorney Troy Rawlings also filed a motion Thursday to have the teen certified to stand trial as an adult.
On May 22, Alex Vidinhar, 10, and Benjie Vidinhar, 4, were found dead in their West Point home at 120 S. 1660 West with "wounds consistent with a stabbing," according to investigators. They were being watched by their older brother while their mother and sisters were away at a dance recital.
When the mother returned home, the bodies of the two boys were discovered. Police searched for several hours before eventually finding the older brother several miles away.
Under Utah law, people convicted and sentenced in the juvenile system are released from custody when they turn 21, regardless of the crime or the risk they may pose to the public.
A 15-year-old certified to stand trial as an adult would be placed in an adult detention facility, even while still a teen, and could be sentenced to a maximum of life in prison.
"Neither of these alternatives is attractive," Rawlings said of the case. "Based on the evidence as we know it it is our view that concern for public safety is paramount," he said, explaining that is why he is seeking to have the teen certified as an adult.
The boys' father has stated previously that he did not want his teenage son tried as an adult or to face a potential sentence of life in prison without parole. He said the family "never imagined something like this could happen," and he believes emotional or mental health issues may have played a role in the tragic incident.
The boy has been held at the Farmington Bay Youth Detention Center since his arrest. A detention hearing is scheduled for Friday.
- 20 years later, parents of missing Spanish...
- 2 deadly Utah County shootings spark...
- Audit reveals flawed projections on Utah's...
- Promise ring, pregnancy talk shows...
- After finding a vehicle they believe to be...
- Humanitarian Bishnu Adhikari hopeful for...
- 9-month anniversary of landslide marked by...
- 3-year-old run over, killed following family...
- 2 deadly Utah County shootings spark... 105
- One man dead after attempted carjacking... 39
- Mitt Romney tells UVU grads to 'live a... 23
- Poll: Majority of Salt Lake City... 19
- Audit reveals flawed projections on... 18
- Governor, legislators leave 'baggage'... 14
- Jury convicts San Juan County... 13
- Living on the edge: North Salt Lake... 10