15-year-old charged with murdering 2 younger brothers
Prosecutors will push to certify teen as an adult
FARMINGTON — A 15-year-old boy accused of killing his two younger brothers was charged Thursday with two counts of murder.
In conjunction with the charges filed in 2nd District Juvenile Court, Davis County Attorney Troy Rawlings also filed a motion Thursday to have the teen certified to stand trial as an adult.
On May 22, Alex Vidinhar, 10, and Benjie Vidinhar, 4, were found dead in their West Point home at 120 S. 1660 West with "wounds consistent with a stabbing," according to investigators. They were being watched by their older brother while their mother and sisters were away at a dance recital.
When the mother returned home, the bodies of the two boys were discovered. Police searched for several hours before eventually finding the older brother several miles away.
Under Utah law, people convicted and sentenced in the juvenile system are released from custody when they turn 21, regardless of the crime or the risk they may pose to the public.
A 15-year-old certified to stand trial as an adult would be placed in an adult detention facility, even while still a teen, and could be sentenced to a maximum of life in prison.
"Neither of these alternatives is attractive," Rawlings said of the case. "Based on the evidence as we know it it is our view that concern for public safety is paramount," he said, explaining that is why he is seeking to have the teen certified as an adult.
The boys' father has stated previously that he did not want his teenage son tried as an adult or to face a potential sentence of life in prison without parole. He said the family "never imagined something like this could happen," and he believes emotional or mental health issues may have played a role in the tragic incident.
The boy has been held at the Farmington Bay Youth Detention Center since his arrest. A detention hearing is scheduled for Friday.
- Woman killed by mixer at Sandy grocery store...
- Supporters of Oregon occupier honor LaVoy...
- Report: Communication breakdowns contributed...
- Housing prices expected to climb in 2016,...
- Meagan Grunwald won't get a new trial in...
- Video involving officer whose ear was nearly...
- Recent missionary killed after carjacking was...
- Woman dies after getting caught in...
- Son of Oregon occupier killed by police... 106
- State senator wants Utah to declare... 39
- Recent missionary killed after... 32
- Feds say Orem man duped hundreds of... 28
- Supporters of Oregon occupier honor... 24
- Meagan Grunwald won't get a new trial... 22
- Are you willing to take a pledge to... 18
- What you need to know about the effort... 15