Editor's note: This list by Len Penzo originally appeared on his blog,
I was on an extremely tight budget when I was in college, so I had cheap cooking down to a science.
Back then, dinner was number four on my list of priorities; right after tuition, beer, and rent — in that order.
Many people on limited incomes pride themselves on their ability to create some truly delicious and cheap dinner ideas.
My grandmother, who was born in Italy, was always on a tight budget. One of my favorite dishes that Grandma used to serve was nothing more than white rice mixed with her leftover homemade spaghetti sauce. Some people call that dish “red rice,” but Grandma just called it, well, “rice with sauce.” Clever, huh?
I recently asked a few friends if they would be willing to share any cheap dishes that they use today or that their family served to them back when they were kids. Some were apparently more delicious than others.
Len Penzo is a personal finance blogger with a strong disdain for debt. His blog, Len Penzo dot com, has been featured as one of Kiplinger's Personal Finance Best Money Blogs in 2010 and 2012.
- The 20 best cities to live in for first-time...
- How to eat on just $4 a day
- A solution to paying that medical bill you...
- Vet who simulates homelessness for a month...
- 15 actions families are taking today to make...
- How depression threatens financial well-being
- 5 qualities of successful mompreneurs
- Allow student loan bankruptcies, but hold...
- Allow student loan bankruptcies,... 17
- Raising a kid will cost you $245,000... 11
- Food stamp use shows continued... 9
- Want to increase attraction in your... 7
- How to eat on just $4 a day 6
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't make... 5
- Balancing act: Readers dispute... 4
- A solution to paying that medical bill... 4