Editor's note: This list by Len Penzo originally appeared on his blog,
I was on an extremely tight budget when I was in college, so I had cheap cooking down to a science.
Back then, dinner was number four on my list of priorities; right after tuition, beer, and rent — in that order.
Many people on limited incomes pride themselves on their ability to create some truly delicious and cheap dinner ideas.
My grandmother, who was born in Italy, was always on a tight budget. One of my favorite dishes that Grandma used to serve was nothing more than white rice mixed with her leftover homemade spaghetti sauce. Some people call that dish “red rice,” but Grandma just called it, well, “rice with sauce.” Clever, huh?
I recently asked a few friends if they would be willing to share any cheap dishes that they use today or that their family served to them back when they were kids. Some were apparently more delicious than others.
Len Penzo is a personal finance blogger with a strong disdain for debt. His blog, Len Penzo dot com, has been featured as one of Kiplinger's Personal Finance Best Money Blogs in 2010 and 2012.
- Is your financial house in order? 10...
- The top 10 highest-paid female CEOs
- 1 number you should check each year to avoid...
- The best states in America for balancing work...
- Here's a look at the 20 worst jobs of 2015...
- ‘Wife bonus:’ Is paying women...
- Is rent out of reach? Study shows how 11 US...
- Dave Ramsey says: Build your budget together
- Is your financial house in order? 10... 15
- 'Such a stress reliever': In Rhode... 13
- Exxon shareholders to vote on climate... 6
- Is rent out of reach? Study shows how... 1
- The top 10 highest-paid female CEOs 1
- Balancing act: Does parenting bring... 1
- Dave Ramsey says: Build your budget... 1
- Americans are very unsure about their... 1