SALT LAKE CITY — Some Draft Day tidbits to chew on as the Utah Jazz prepare for their three picks Thursday night:
Why they are where they are
14: The Jazz were too good to end up with a high lottery pick but not good enough to make the playoffs despite finishing with a winning record of 43-39 in 2012-13. This will be the Jazz's seventh lottery pick, including their No. 3 selection in 2011: Enes Kanter.
21: In 2011, the Jazz sent All-Star point guard Deron Williams to the New Jersey Nets for Devin Harris, Derrick Favors, two first-round picks (Kanter being one) and cash. Because of a previous Nets deal, Utah ended up with a protected first-round pick of Golden State. That almost played out last season, but the Warriors infamously tanked and then won a lottery coin toss to keep their top-seven pick (Harrison Barnes). In 2012-13, the Warriors finished with the 10th-best record (47-35), resulting in Utah getting their first-round selection because it was well out of protected range.
46: Lottery position isn't maintained after the first round, so the Jazz get the 16th pick in the second round. Utah had a better record than two Eastern Conference playoff teams — Bucks (38-44) and Celtics (41-40) — so it will select after them in Round 2 at No. 46 overall.
Last 10 picks
2012: John Henson (Bucks); 2011: Marcus Morris (Rockets); 2010: Patrick Patterson (Rockets); 2009: Earl Clark (Suns); 2008: Anthony Randolph (Warriors); 2007: Al Thornton (Clippers); 2006: Ronnie Brewer (Jazz); 2005: Rashad McCants (Timberwolves); 2004: Kris Humphries (Jazz); 2003: Luke Ridnour (Sonics).
Other notables: Peja Stojakovic, Tim Hardaway, Clyde Drexler, Dan Majerle, Maurice Lucas
2012: Jared Sullinger (Celtics); 2011: Nolan Smith (Blazers); 2010: Craig Brackins (Thunder); 2009: Darren Collison (Hornets); 2008: Ryan Anderson (Nets); 2007: Daequan Cook (Heat); 2006: Rajon Rondo (Suns); 2005: Nate Robinson (Suns); 2004: Pavel Podkolzin (Jazz, traded to Mavs); 2003: Boris Diaw (Hawks).
Other notables: Greg Kite, Blue Edwards, Eric Murdock, Jon Barry, Michael Finley.
2012: Darius Miller (Hornets); 2011: Andrew Goudelock (Lakers); 2010: Gani Lawal (Suns); 2009: Danny Green (Cavaliers); 2008: Trent Plaisted (Sonics); 2007: Stephane Lasme (Warriors); 2006: Dee Brown (Jazz); 2005: Erazem Lorbek (Pacers); 2004: Ha Seung-Jin (Blazers); 2003: Sani Becirovic (Nuggets).
Other notables: Jeff Hornacek, Matt Barnes, Jerome Kersey.
Previous Utah Jazz lottery selections
2011: Enes Kanter (third); 2010: Gordon Hayward (ninth), Alec Burks (12th); 2006: Ronnie Brewer (14th); 2005: Deron Williams (third); 2004: Kris Humphries (14th).
- High school boys basketball: TJ Haws' career...
- Duke's Jabari Parker faces tough stay-or-go...
- BYU basketball: Despite dearth of 3-pointers,...
- BYU basketball: Cougars leery of facing...
- High school boys basketball: Bountiful...
- High school boys basketball: Lone Peak...
- Tournament central: 5A boys championship live...
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up short...
- Utah basketball: Utes clip Cal in... 83
- High school boys basketball: 5A/4A/1A... 57
- BYU football: Practice fights elicit... 56
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 49
- BYU baseball: BYU beats Utah, 20-3 47
- Doug Robinson: Time to move on for... 43
- BYU basketball: Despite dearth of... 29
- CougarLinks: BYU picked to win WCC... 28