Wednesday, June 26, 2013, marks one year since 6-year-old Sierra Newbold was taken from this world. Within the past week, family and community members have gathered together to remember the little girl who loved pink, cellphones and dance.
In memory of the 6-year-old dancer, the Utah Dance Artists performed a dance tribute and posted the video this week to YouTube. Kaelynne A. Oliphant, the ballet ensemble director, wrote in the video's description exactly how the tribute came to be, inspired by the love between Newbold and her younger sister Taylor Newbold.
"I was sitting with my sweetheart on our porch discussing the painful details that had been released in a press conference earlier that day concerning Sierra. 'I need to do something,' I kept saying over and over. Just then, a certain piece of music filled my mind. I couldn't remember the name, but I knew where to find it," Oliphant wrote.
"I listened to this song over and over without interruption for at least an hour and a half. As I listened, my mind was filled with the powerful love Sierra and Taylor enjoyed as sisters.
"At the end of my session it was complete. The story. The choreography. The costumes. It was all there. Everything had been laid out for me. I knew exactly what to do without hesitation. Never before had I experienced anything quite like this. Without a doubt, it was one of the most powerful spiritual experiences I have ever had."
Oliphant said, "The making of 'Goodbye' will forever be one of the most special moments of my career."
The dance is described as a story between two sisters, highlighting many special personal moments the two friends have enjoyed together.
"I feel honored to know about their special goodbye and hope all who watch it may also feel of their love," Oliphant wrote. "May 'Goodbye' forever show how true love will overcome all evil. And to those who have loved and lost, may it give you peace in your heart. All is not lost, it is just goodbye for now. True love will always endure forever. Sierra will always be a shining example of this to us all."
- 33 things I want my sons to know
- Mom battling cancer determined to live for...
- Things that changed my view of marriage forever
- 'Duck Dynasty' dad approves of daughter's...
- 3 South Jordan siblings battling rare disease...
- The Clean Cut: Military father surprises...
- Experts debate whether marriage is needed for...
- 10 compliments your kids need to hear
- Things that changed my view of marriage... 26
- The economy has begun to recover, but... 24
- Experts debate whether marriage is... 22
- The changing definition of 'TV': What... 15
- Jon Heder becomes Napoleon Dynamite... 9
- Mom battling cancer determined to live... 7
- Woman's happiness most important to... 5
- 6 science-fiction and fantasy movies... 5