This is short and simple. I hate my church calling. How do I get out of it?
No Time and Burned Out
Dear No Time and Burned Out,
Just ask. Seriously, make an appointment with your bishop and say what you feel. In this case, “I’d like to be released” is all you need to say.
A couple of weeks ago, I spent an hour strategizing with a friend about how he could get the bishop to release him from his calling because his work schedule was busy and he felt like he didn’t have enough time or energy to commit to his church responsibilities. We tried all of these different excuses like, "I’m going to be out of town X and Y weekends,” or, “I’ll probably be moving out of the ward soon” — all in hopes that the bishop would just decide to release him. We got a good laugh out of the activity, but in the end it was just a big waste of our time.
If you’re struggling, don’t have time, or simply don’t like it, go talk to your bishop. Ultimately, the assignment is voluntary and you don’t have to do it, but he may be able to help you find ways (that you hadn’t thought of) to enjoy it and find greater fulfillment from the service.
Also, know that you're not alone in how you may be feeling. Many people get callings that they don't like or that they feel like don't matter very much. But the Lord, your leaders and even your friends can help you gain a new perspective — if you want one.
What do you think? Is it worth a shot? Or are you still ready to throw in the towel?
Let us know!
Readers: How have you found fulfillment in your church service? How do you manage your church responsibilities when secular life gets hectic?
Share your thoughts in the comments and on my Facebook page
Angela Trusty answers questions about a variety of topics, including the Mormon young single adult experience. She is published weekly in the Deseret News and Washington Times communities. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: angelatrusty
- LDS missionaries developing strategies to...
- Mormon missionaries shine shoes, teach the...
- Christmas lights on Temple Square in pictures...
- LDS Church alters Christmas devotional tradition
- Mormon-raised Paul Walker remembered for...
- LDS growth in India draws media attention
- Space and religion: How believers view latest...
- Genealogy: A journal has many uses
- LDS missionaries developing strategies... 39
- Cardinal Dolan says Catholic church... 38
- Seeing is believing: Doctor, family say... 26
- LDS Church alters Christmas devotional... 25
- Defending the Faith: 'Pleased as man... 21
- Mormon missionaries shine shoes, teach... 17
- What's new: 'Women and the Priesthood'... 16
- Space and religion: How believers view... 11