BYU star Tyler Haws makes 16-man cut for USA at World University Games tryout (+video)
Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
BYU guard Tyler Haws has made the 16-man cut for team USA at the World University Games, his father, Marty Haws, announced.
The USA Basketball Men’s Junior National Team Committee invited Tyler Haws to participate in the U.S. training camp June 24-30 at the U.S. Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs, Colo. Today, the original 29-man roster was cut down to 16 players, and Haws remained on the roster through the first cut.
If Haws is to participate in the 2013 World University Games in Russia, he will have to survive another cut to make the final 12-man roster.
However, Haws has made a name for himself thus far in the training camp. Sports Illustrated writer Andy Glockner included this note of Haws' play in his World University Games tryout update Tuesday night:
"BYU’s Tyler Haws knocked down a couple of shots and looks pretty comfortable at that depth. In starting to eyeball the team’s composition, you’d have to think the coaches will have to strongly consider taking both Haws and Louisville’s Luke Hancock as they are really shy on good perimeter shooters at the guard spots. It may turn out that those two and Creighton’s Doug McDermott are the best 3-point shooters on the team."
Haws' achievement and representation for BYU is not going unnoticed on Twitter, either.
Whitney O'Bannon is a new media sports writer for the Deseret News. Follow on Twitter at @whitney_oban.
- Hayward looking like Captain America early in...
- Morning links: 'Big 12' cartoon features BYU,...
- Ansah, Wagner or Weddle: Which local had the...
- What you may have missed: UConn fan's pleas...
- BYU's defense, among nation's leaders in...
- Gary Crowton resigns as SUU offensive...
- ESPN's Brett McMurphy: 'I actually should...
- Home hasn't been so sweet in Pac-12 play
- College football: Utes climb to No. 5... 56
- Morning links: Utes in the playoff?;... 44
- Morning links: 'Big 12' cartoon... 38
- ESPN's College GameDay is coming to... 34
- After win, BYU looking to improve, get... 26
- BYU overcomes mistakes, downs UConn,... 23
- Dick Harmon: Mangum uses chunk yardage... 22
- Morning links: Kyle Whittingham 'doing... 20