"I believe that act was a reasonable, constitutional exercise of the federal government’s power to determine the proper application of federal benefits," he said "If the American people have changed their mind about that policy, then Congress, not the court, should adjust it."
Utah's lone Democrat in Congress, Rep. Jim Matheson said the decision affirms protections in civil law as well as the jurisdiction of the states, like Utah, to determine what they see fit.
Larabee said she's thrilled with the decision because it affirms protection for LGBT people.
"Justice (Anthony) Kennedy wrote passionately about the commitment, dedication and protections gay and lesbian couples and their children are entitled to under the law. We knew we were protected by the Constitution’s guarantees of freedom and equality, and made those arguments to the court. We’re so grateful the court came to the same conclusion," she said.
Sutherland Institute president Paul Mero said he's disappointed with the decisions from a broader legal and political context, but Utah's law is unharmed.
"Of course, Utah politics is different than law and policy and it’s natural for homosexual activists in Utah to be excited about the prospects of changing our laws and policies. But, that’s politics," he said.
"For now, nothing changes for Utah in support of faith, family and freedom — each is preserved, though each will continue to come under legal, political and cultural attack from homosexual activists."
Ruzicka said children need both a mother and a father.
"That is the basis of our society. It always has been. That is the moral law of our land and that should continue to be that way," she said.
Contributing: Peter Samore, Andrew Adams
- Bingham High students walk out over dress code
- President Monson rededicates Ogden Utah Temple
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- Shots fired after fight at high school in...
- Utah's expanding Hispanic business at center...
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Creativity of ALS ice bucket challenge boosts...
- Big screen 'Maze Runner' is a big dream come...
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 166
- Bingham High students walk out over... 90
- Pro same-sex marriage group responds to... 87
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 38
- Police release names of officers... 37
- Poll: Utahns in favor of school... 27
- Mitt Romney to campaign for Mia Love in... 19
- Can Utah solve its surprising binge... 18