"I believe that act was a reasonable, constitutional exercise of the federal government’s power to determine the proper application of federal benefits," he said "If the American people have changed their mind about that policy, then Congress, not the court, should adjust it."
Utah's lone Democrat in Congress, Rep. Jim Matheson said the decision affirms protections in civil law as well as the jurisdiction of the states, like Utah, to determine what they see fit.
Larabee said she's thrilled with the decision because it affirms protection for LGBT people.
"Justice (Anthony) Kennedy wrote passionately about the commitment, dedication and protections gay and lesbian couples and their children are entitled to under the law. We knew we were protected by the Constitution’s guarantees of freedom and equality, and made those arguments to the court. We’re so grateful the court came to the same conclusion," she said.
Sutherland Institute president Paul Mero said he's disappointed with the decisions from a broader legal and political context, but Utah's law is unharmed.
"Of course, Utah politics is different than law and policy and it’s natural for homosexual activists in Utah to be excited about the prospects of changing our laws and policies. But, that’s politics," he said.
"For now, nothing changes for Utah in support of faith, family and freedom — each is preserved, though each will continue to come under legal, political and cultural attack from homosexual activists."
Ruzicka said children need both a mother and a father.
"That is the basis of our society. It always has been. That is the moral law of our land and that should continue to be that way," she said.
Contributing: Peter Samore, Andrew Adams
- Concealed permit holder stopped armed robbery...
- Photos: Hollywood comes to Utah with the...
- 'Frozen', Utah style! Slot canyons, arches...
- Suspected DUI driver found in barn hours...
- Lawmakers looking to pump up gas tax this...
- About Utah: Utah Valley University fills a...
- Are you willing to pay more for your child's...
- Sen. Mike Lee urges conservative Republicans...
- Mitt sounds like a candidate at Salt... 87
- Sen. Mike Lee urges conservative... 27
- Lawmakers looking to pump up gas tax... 23
- Are you willing to pay more for your... 21
- EPA inventory highlights 'toxic'... 20
- Darrien Hunt's mother pleads not guilty... 19
- Former SUU rugby player sentenced to... 18
- Inmates turn in handgun and magazine... 18