“Rocky Mountain Power has failed in any significant way to clean up what is the West’s most polluting energy portfolio,” said Christopher Thomas, HEAL’s executive director. “The damaging health and environmental impacts of coal pollution have never been clearer, yet Rocky Mountain Power continues to bury its head in the sand.”
The organization pointed to a report commissioned by the Natural Resources Defense Council demonstrating that among the top 10 biggest power producers in the West, PacifiCorp ranks second worst for carbon dioxide emission rate, worst for nitrogen oxides emission rate, worst for sulfur dioxide emission rate and second worst for mercury emission rate.
HEAL Utah added that Rocky Mountain Power has "utterly failed" to invest in clean, green energy and has no plans to add any new green energy projects until at least 2024.
Spokeswoman Maria O'Mara, while stressing the company has no official comment on Obama's climate change plan, said Rocky Mountain Power, as part of PacifiCorp, has 1,400 megawatts of wind resources in its service territory, most of it brought online in the past 10 years.
"We are the largest regulated utility owner of wind resources in the West and the second largest in the nation," O'Mara said.
The company also pioneered the Blundell geothermal power plant in Utah back in 1984, long before "green" became a catch phrase, she said.
O'Mara said 36,000 customers in Utah are enrolled in the Blue Sky renewable energy program, supporting renewable energy that is equivalent to the output of 7222 utility-scale wind turbines for a year.
- Idea for Burt's Bees land to become park...
- Top 7 money-saving tips for summer travel
- Repo man charged with manslaughter in...
- Utah and 10 states sue Obama administration...
- Syracuse DUI driver sentenced to year in jail...
- Energy summit details massive project planned...
- Photos: Students get a jump on the Memorial...
- West Valley man faces 31 charges in alleged...
- Are Utahns tiring of Mitt Romney... 106
- Utah and 10 states sue Obama... 40
- Teacher on leave after telling students... 33
- Salt Lake's next skyscraper? Proposed... 18
- Hatch steadfast in holding up Supreme... 17
- Sen. Hatch set to tour Utah's national... 14
- Skateboarder dies after being shot in... 10
- Utah lawsuit challenges porn filter fees 9