“Rocky Mountain Power has failed in any significant way to clean up what is the West’s most polluting energy portfolio,” said Christopher Thomas, HEAL’s executive director. “The damaging health and environmental impacts of coal pollution have never been clearer, yet Rocky Mountain Power continues to bury its head in the sand.”
The organization pointed to a report commissioned by the Natural Resources Defense Council demonstrating that among the top 10 biggest power producers in the West, PacifiCorp ranks second worst for carbon dioxide emission rate, worst for nitrogen oxides emission rate, worst for sulfur dioxide emission rate and second worst for mercury emission rate.
HEAL Utah added that Rocky Mountain Power has "utterly failed" to invest in clean, green energy and has no plans to add any new green energy projects until at least 2024.
Spokeswoman Maria O'Mara, while stressing the company has no official comment on Obama's climate change plan, said Rocky Mountain Power, as part of PacifiCorp, has 1,400 megawatts of wind resources in its service territory, most of it brought online in the past 10 years.
"We are the largest regulated utility owner of wind resources in the West and the second largest in the nation," O'Mara said.
The company also pioneered the Blundell geothermal power plant in Utah back in 1984, long before "green" became a catch phrase, she said.
O'Mara said 36,000 customers in Utah are enrolled in the Blue Sky renewable energy program, supporting renewable energy that is equivalent to the output of 7222 utility-scale wind turbines for a year.
- LDS leaders respond to reaction over their...
- Jury exonerates Marc Jenson in fraud, money...
- Former Utah basketball player spreads hope...
- Romney decision not to run again disappoints...
- LDS leaders reemphasize protection of...
- Undercover operation seizes $600,000 in...
- 7 unique adventure dates for two, on the cheap
- Watch: LDS Church news conference about...
- LDS leaders reemphasize protection of... 205
- LDS leaders respond to reaction over... 163
- Romney decision not to run again... 47
- Watch: LDS Church news conference about... 39
- LDS statement could move Utah... 31
- Former Utah basketball player spreads... 25
- Business community supports tax... 22
- Utah residents rank air pollution as... 21