Screenshot from Disney Channel.com
Beginning in early 2014, the final season of Disney Channel’s show “Good Luck Charlie” will introduce two lesbian mothers, according to website Oh No They Didn't!
Disney created the same-sex couple to add diversity to the show and include children who grow up in similar homes, the site said.
"Like all Disney Channel programming, it was developed to be relevant to kids and families around the world and to reflect themes of diversity and inclusiveness,” said a Disney Channel spokesperson.
Celebrities Miley Cyrus and Evan Rachel Wood openly support Disney’s lesbian additions to the show.
“Is this this true?!?!?!” Cyrus said on her Twitter page, according to Oh No They Didn't! “I commend Disney for making this step into the light of this generation. They control so much of what kids think! Life isn't bright sets & wardrobe & kids becoming superstars! This is INSPIRING.”
Others are not pleased with Disney’s new couple.
“Regardless of your stance on gay rights, some subjects aren't for children,” said commenter paidtoplay on TV Guide’s article about the lesbian addition to the show. “Homosexuality is reality but so are cigarettes, alcohol and war.”
Disney consulted child development professionals before it chose to show a lesbian couple on “Good Luck Charlie,” Oh No They Didn't! reported.
"This particular storyline was developed under the consultancy of child development experts and community advisors," a Disney Channel spokesperson said.
The lesbian couple will be introduced as a side story in an episode when the women's young daughter is invited over to the Duncan family's house for a playdate.
- Summer movie preview: A look at 21 films and...
- ValueSpeak: How did my toddler grandson...
- 20 years later, 'blessed' Herring believes he...
- 18 of the best made-up words from children's...
- 'Avengers' sequel is second biggest US opener...
- Here's my favorite 'Age of Ultron' plot twist
- 5-year-old rings bell, celebrates end of...
- Steve Eaton: eBay exile is small price to pay...
- 20 years later, 'blessed' Herring... 53
- Joseph Cramer, M.D.: A different view... 7
- From the makeup aisle: Advice from a... 5
- ValueSpeak: How did my toddler grandson... 4
- The case for renewing the War on Poverty 2
- The little-known benefit to cleaning... 2
- 'Avengers' sequel is second biggest US... 1
- What does a Dutch cereal farm have to... 1