Blackhawks win Stanley Cup with thrilling 3-2 come-from-behind victory over Boston

Published: Monday, June 24 2013 10:10 p.m. MDT

Chicago Blackhawks right wing Marian Hossa, of Slovakia, hoists the Stanley Cup after the Blackhawks beat the Boston Bruins 3-2 in Game 6 of the NHL hockey Stanley Cup Finals Monday, June 24, 2013, in Boston. (AP Photo/Elise Amendola)

Elise Amendola, AP

The Chicago Blackhawks like to win the Stanley Cup in a certain style.

Dramatic, on the road, and in Game 6.

They did the same thing three years ago in Philadelphia against the Flyers with an overtime goal off the stick of Patrick Kane. That victory gave them their first Stanley Cup win in 49 years.

Their wait for another championship was much shorter.

The Blackhawks won their second Stanley Cup in four seasons Monday night with a thrilling 3-2 come-from-behind over the Boston Bruins in front of a stunned TD Garden. Down 2-1, Bryan Bickell tied the game with 1:16 left in the third period, and Dave Bolland scored the game-winner with 58.3 seconds left to give Chicago a lead it wouldn't surrender. It was the latest that a Cup-winning goal has ever been scored in regulation.

"We knew we just needed one bounce there," Blackhawks captain Jonathan Toews told NBC's Pierre McGuire after the game. "It was a big goal for them [Boston] to go up 2-1. You never know what can happen so you don't stop playing until the end. This is a nice finish not having to go back to Chicago [for a Game 7]."

Patrick Kane became the fourth American (and third straight) to win the Conn Smythe Trophy as playoff MVP, joining Bryan Leetch, Tim Thomas and Jonathan Quick. He scored nine goals and added 10 assists to finish with a team high 19 points in 23 playoff games.

"I think there were a lot of guys that deserved it," Kane told McGuire after the game. "I think [Corey Crawford] might have gotten snubbed, to be honest with you. It's a hell of an achievement. I think it speaks more for my team than for myself, personally, playing with great players."

Boston's Milan Lucic scored at the 12:11 mark of the third period with a wrist shot that hit the post, then bounced off the back of Crawford and rolled into the net to give Boston a 2-1 lead. The play was set up after Crawford failed to control the puck behind the net, and Duncan Keith couldn't clear the puck out of the zone seconds later. David Krejci got the puck behind the net and fed Lucic at the top of the crease, who beat Crawford for the fourth time this series.

The crowd at TD Garden started chanting "We want the Cup" after Lucic's goal, and it looked like the fans were going to get their wish of a Game 7.

But with under two minutes to go, Toews, who battled back from an upper-body injury suffered in Game 5, received a pass from Keith near the goal line and fed Bickell in front of Boston goalie Tuukka Rask. Bickell buried it five-hole to tie the game, and it looked like the two teams were poised to play their fourth overtime game of the series.

But the Blackhawks, who started the season with 24 straight games without a regulation loss, didn't play for overtime. They took advantage of a Bruins team that look demoralized after the tying goal.

David Bolland, known mostly for his grinding in the corners, became the latest hero in Chicago sports history, along with Kane, Walter Peyton and Michael Jordan.

A shot from defenseman Michal Rozsival deflected off the stick of Michael Frolik and then bounced off the post to the right of Rask. The puck came right to the stick of Bolland, who stuffed it in while having his glove knocked off by Bruin defenseman Johnny Boychuck.

Bolland's teammates mobbed him and the Hawk bench erupted.

"You see that puck bounce around there, and all I had to do was tap it in," Bolland said.

After Chicago took the lead, Boston couldn't muster any offense as the final seconds ticked away and one of the most wild games in Stanley Cup Finals history was over.

All it took was 17 seconds.

Try out the new DeseretNews.com design!
try beta learn more
Get The Deseret News Everywhere