The average American spends close to $150 on food every week. That means roughly 11 percent of the average household’s income goes towards meals and snacking. Much of that cost is attributed to a preference for eating out. Even during the height of the recession, most Americans were eating out at restaurants four to five times per week.
Finding affordable restaurants is one important way to keep monthly budgets under control. Unfortunately, finding a cheap meal in any major city is difficult, let alone one that’s actually good.
Which is why review aggregator websites such as Urbanspoon and Yelp can be such a great help while budgeting for a night out to eat. Both sites provide frank customer reviews, as well as an indication of the restaurant’s menu prices.
Urbanspoon, for example, displays the percentage of experienced patrons who enjoyed their food and dining experience, along with a dollar-sign indication of the cost. One $ means the restaurant is within the lowest price range and $$$$ signals the highest, or "fine dining."
To help make life a little easier, the Deseret News has compiled a list of the 25 best affordable restaurants in the greater Salt Lake area. Did your favorite restaurant make the cut?
- 11 best—and worst—state tax systems
- Why starting a garden doesn't save you money
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to live
- Why babies are expensive, but could save you...
- Customers wait all night, get new iPhone 6
- How much America wants to be taxed
- Utah has some of the rudest drivers,...
- Review: Larger iPhones eliminate reason to...
- Utah has some of the rudest drivers,... 43
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 22
- Yellen says US families need to boost... 10
- Financial interventions don't work 7
- How much America wants to be taxed 7
- Why starting a garden doesn't save you... 5
- Extended warranties a big sell. Are... 4
- Dave Ramsey says: Tips for stretching... 4