The average American spends close to $150 on food every week. That means roughly 11 percent of the average household’s income goes towards meals and snacking. Much of that cost is attributed to a preference for eating out. Even during the height of the recession, most Americans were eating out at restaurants four to five times per week.
Finding affordable restaurants is one important way to keep monthly budgets under control. Unfortunately, finding a cheap meal in any major city is difficult, let alone one that’s actually good.
Which is why review aggregator websites such as Urbanspoon and Yelp can be such a great help while budgeting for a night out to eat. Both sites provide frank customer reviews, as well as an indication of the restaurant’s menu prices.
Urbanspoon, for example, displays the percentage of experienced patrons who enjoyed their food and dining experience, along with a dollar-sign indication of the cost. One $ means the restaurant is within the lowest price range and $$$$ signals the highest, or "fine dining."
To help make life a little easier, the Deseret News has compiled a list of the 25 best affordable restaurants in the greater Salt Lake area. Did your favorite restaurant make the cut?
- 25 states with the lowest levels of personal...
- 9 startup companies perfect for your family
- Consumer index climbs to record level in Utah
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't touch that 529 plan
- BYU grad strikes gold teaching via online...
- Balancing act: First 'real' job teaches...
- U.S. economy grows at scorching 4 percent in...
- Small cars fare poorly in crash safety tests
- Fast food workers vow civil disobedience 18
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't leave an estate... 13
- BYU grad strikes gold teaching via... 12
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't touch that 529... 8
- Remodeling? Experts say some projects... 6
- Study: 35 percent in US facing debt... 5
- U.S. economy grows at scorching 4... 5
- Consumer index climbs to record level... 4