The average American spends close to $150 on food every week. That means roughly 11 percent of the average household’s income goes towards meals and snacking. Much of that cost is attributed to a preference for eating out. Even during the height of the recession, most Americans were eating out at restaurants four to five times per week.
Finding affordable restaurants is one important way to keep monthly budgets under control. Unfortunately, finding a cheap meal in any major city is difficult, let alone one that’s actually good.
Which is why review aggregator websites such as Urbanspoon and Yelp can be such a great help while budgeting for a night out to eat. Both sites provide frank customer reviews, as well as an indication of the restaurant’s menu prices.
Urbanspoon, for example, displays the percentage of experienced patrons who enjoyed their food and dining experience, along with a dollar-sign indication of the cost. One $ means the restaurant is within the lowest price range and $$$$ signals the highest, or "fine dining."
To help make life a little easier, the Deseret News has compiled a list of the 25 best affordable restaurants in the greater Salt Lake area. Did your favorite restaurant make the cut?
- The most expensive homes in Utah in 2014
- Why you need to stop buying your kids so many...
- When low-income housing is converted into...
- Robots will replace 50% of today's...
- What's next for dead malls?
- Minivans do poorly in new crash tests
- Pope demands just distribution of world's bounty
- Why homeownership is not for everyone
- Japan slides into recession as tax hike... 14
- Robots will replace 50% of today's... 13
- 15 organic fruits and veggies that... 7
- 'Red warning lights' flashing for... 5
- Pope demands just distribution of... 5
- Millennials are quitting their jobs and... 5
- What's next for dead malls? 5
- Are credit cards or consumers to blame... 3