The average American spends close to $150 on food every week. That means roughly 11 percent of the average household’s income goes towards meals and snacking. Much of that cost is attributed to a preference for eating out. Even during the height of the recession, most Americans were eating out at restaurants four to five times per week.
Finding affordable restaurants is one important way to keep monthly budgets under control. Unfortunately, finding a cheap meal in any major city is difficult, let alone one that’s actually good.
Which is why review aggregator websites such as Urbanspoon and Yelp can be such a great help while budgeting for a night out to eat. Both sites provide frank customer reviews, as well as an indication of the restaurant’s menu prices.
Urbanspoon, for example, displays the percentage of experienced patrons who enjoyed their food and dining experience, along with a dollar-sign indication of the cost. One $ means the restaurant is within the lowest price range and $$$$ signals the highest, or "fine dining."
To help make life a little easier, the Deseret News has compiled a list of the 25 best affordable restaurants in the greater Salt Lake area. Did your favorite restaurant make the cut?
- The 20 best cities to live in for first-time...
- How to eat on just $4 a day
- A solution to paying that medical bill you...
- Vet who simulates homelessness for a month...
- 15 actions families are taking today to make...
- How depression threatens financial well-being
- 5 qualities of successful mompreneurs
- Allow student loan bankruptcies, but hold...
- Allow student loan bankruptcies,... 17
- Raising a kid will cost you $245,000... 11
- Food stamp use shows continued... 9
- Want to increase attraction in your... 7
- How to eat on just $4 a day 6
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't make... 5
- Balancing act: Readers dispute... 4
- A solution to paying that medical bill... 4