Dick Harmon: Here's what to expect from BYU's football media day Wednesday
- Status of the BYU-Utah series: The series will take a hiatus in 2014 and 2015. Back on May 29, Holmoe couldn’t give an update; there is no schedule for him to sit down and iron out a new contract with Utah AD Chris Hill, but he and Hill have talked. Odds for something new to break by Wednesday: 500 to 1.
- Bowl contract for 2014 and beyond: After this year’s Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl in San Francisco, BYU has no announced bowl pacts. On May 29, Holmoe said talks were underway. Odds for something to break by Wednesday: 8 to 1.
- Mendenhall contract renewal: Negotiations are ongoing and on May 29 Holmoe could only say both parties want it done. Wednesday is the first major media opportunity to make an announcement. The next comes after two-a-days begin and after that the prime “big splash” timing to release something is the week of the opener against Virginia. Odds it breaks Wednesday: 4 to 1. Odds that Holmoe or Mendenhall will discuss any aspect or detail of said contract renewal on Wednesday: 30 to 1.
- A big announcement: Could something really newsworthy be revealed Wednesday? Odds of Mendenhall or Holmoe making a significant announcement of great significance during media day: 5 to 1.
And Mendenhall and Anae are still doing a roll call for the eight offensive line recruits who have never taken a snap in Cougar uniforms but may be critical to the 2013 season.
That, folks, is where the coming season hinges.
And Wednesday everyone will be hard-pressed to talk about this crucial aspect of the football team in any meaningful depth.
Dick Harmon, Deseret News sports columnist, can be found on Twitter as Harmonwrites and can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Source: Kyle Whittingham not being forced out...
- Amy Donaldson: South Jordan mom eyes Boston...
- Brad Rock: Silence is the wrong approach for...
- Brad Rock: Memo to Utes: Get your act together
- Bingham nearly topples undefeated Florida...
- Red and Blue Recruits: An inside look at...
- Dick Harmon: BYU starters lose 3-point range...
- Meet the 21 Utah ties on the NFL playoff rosters
- Utah offensive coordinator Dave... 75
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not... 63
- Source: Kyle Whittingham not being... 45
- Hill, Whittingham meet after football... 41
- Brad Rock: Memo to Utes: Get your act... 38
- Red and Blue Recruits: An inside look... 21
- Dick Harmon: BYU starters lose 3-point... 15
- Pangos, Wiltjer lead Gonzaga to victory... 13