A screenshot of Rob Nelson's Facebook page
Rob Nelson, a man friends and family agree put others’ needs before his own, died June 21 while checking to see if his neighbors’ homes were holding up to the flooding Sheep River in Aldersyde, Alberta, Canada.
Nelson left his house early Friday morning and rode his ATV to his neighbors’ homes to inspect the sandbags he had help place the day before, according to the Calgary Sun.
“They were out until the early hours of Friday morning, and Rob came home to nap on the couch — and sporadically through the night, he’d get up to check the sump pump on his house,” said Mary Dougherty, Nelson’s mother-in-law, in an interview with the Calgary Sun. “Then he went out about 5 in the morning on his ATV to make sure the sandbags were holding and doing what they were supposed to.”
Although officials do not know the cause yet, as Nelson drove his ATV he was thrown from the vehicle and struck his head.
“He was at the last house and we don’t know what happened — whether he was startled by a deer, or somehow hit the brake instead of the accelerator — but somehow, he was thrown from the ATV,” Dougherty said. “He landed on his head, on the pavement. It’s just very tragic.”
Family and friends said they were not surprised to hear that Nelson was out early in the morning to check on his neighbors’ safety
“That was Rob. Rob was always watching out for everybody. If you needed something, all you had to do was call Rob,” Dougherty said.
Nelson is survived by his wife and six children, with the oldeset in high school. Dougherty said Nelson would tell people that his family and kids were his passion. “That was his life,” she said.
- Defending the Faith: Joseph, the stone and...
- Returning LDS missionary, father battling...
- LDS Church releases Easter video, campaign
- State bills to protect religious freedom...
- Preparing to split up, LDS General Primary...
- Lexi Hansen forgives driver who hit her (+video)
- 'A marvellous work and a wonder': A look back...
- Why I don’t call myself a ‘Mormon...
- Defending the Faith: Joseph, the stone... 153
- Why I don’t call myself a... 91
- 'A marvellous work and a wonder': A... 62
- What Mormons should know about NBC's... 51
- Kara Tippetts, Christian who blogged... 26
- Why Ted Cruz launched his presidential... 17
- Heaven can wait, Christian bookstore... 17
- Millennials are the ‘don’t... 14