Fire roars through Cottonwood Heights home while family on vacation
COTTONWOOD HEIGHTS — A family of eight will have a hard homecoming when they get back from vacation.
Fire roared through a house at 2193 E. County View Lane (7530 South) late Sunday, causing extensive damage. Unified Fire Authority Capt. Clint Mecham said the two adults and six children who live in the home were out of the area on vacation when the fire started.
Crews were called to the house about 10:20 p.m. by several neighbors who saw heavy smoke and flames coming from the front of the home, Mecham said.
"I heard someone yelling, ‘Help!' I looked outside, and the house was on fire," said neighbor Justin Johnson. "It seemed like it was gonna be engulfed in minutes."
"My sister ran and grabbed the hose, and the neighbor who is next to me was outside with his hose," said neighbor Glennette Romero.
The first arriving crews immediately called for a second alarm, in part because they didn't know if the family was still inside. The blaze was contained to the one structure and did not spread to neighboring homes, which were evacuated.
"These houses are so close together, and the flames were billowing out of the garage. I'm really blown away that it didn't hit the house next to them," Johnson said.
A cause of the fire was still being investigated Monday. Mecham said the family would likely not be able to move back into their home for awhile.
- Cheerleading coach who worked as youth...
- Fire rips through Draper garage during...
- Osmond to run 250 miles to help kids get...
- Former Gov. Norm Bangerter remembered as man...
- Mystery man who rescued driver from cliff in...
- Pornography conference probes perils, solutions
- Three Salt Lake City golf courses slated for...
- Orem pediatrician 'happy' to help...
- End of an era: Mercury rule shutters... 57
- Poll: Strong approval ratings for Gov.... 27
- Sen. Hatch's 'I-Squared' bill could... 26
- BYU ranked 'best value college' in Utah 26
- Herbert to meet with Obama... 23
- April snow shocks Utahns but does... 20
- Wild, windy, wet weather wallops... 17
- Rep. Jason Chaffetz: Drug Enforcement... 15