Fire roars through Cottonwood Heights home while family on vacation
COTTONWOOD HEIGHTS — A family of eight will have a hard homecoming when they get back from vacation.
Fire roared through a house at 2193 E. County View Lane (7530 South) late Sunday, causing extensive damage. Unified Fire Authority Capt. Clint Mecham said the two adults and six children who live in the home were out of the area on vacation when the fire started.
Crews were called to the house about 10:20 p.m. by several neighbors who saw heavy smoke and flames coming from the front of the home, Mecham said.
"I heard someone yelling, ‘Help!' I looked outside, and the house was on fire," said neighbor Justin Johnson. "It seemed like it was gonna be engulfed in minutes."
"My sister ran and grabbed the hose, and the neighbor who is next to me was outside with his hose," said neighbor Glennette Romero.
The first arriving crews immediately called for a second alarm, in part because they didn't know if the family was still inside. The blaze was contained to the one structure and did not spread to neighboring homes, which were evacuated.
"These houses are so close together, and the flames were billowing out of the garage. I'm really blown away that it didn't hit the house next to them," Johnson said.
A cause of the fire was still being investigated Monday. Mecham said the family would likely not be able to move back into their home for awhile.
- Provo's waffle truck started by a motivated...
- The wrath of Comic-Con: S.L. convention...
- Drunken driver goes airborne, crashes into...
- Utah leads the nation in deadly melanoma cases
- Fired West Valley officer's defense team goes...
- Summer downpour causes flooding, slides...
- Long road to trial begins Wednesday for...
- Fatal Draper house fire was intentionally...
- Federal land managers criticized over... 26
- Ex-federal judge says West Valley... 25
- Owens' pollster says new poll shows... 21
- Drunken driver goes airborne, crashes... 19
- Habitual offender arrested in alleged... 17
- Provo's waffle truck started by a... 16
- San Diego Comic-Con tells Salt Lake... 12
- BYU grad strikes gold teaching via... 12