German pancakes are a breakfast treat can be enjoyed any day of the week
There is rarely time during the weekday to make anything for breakfast. Pouring cereal and milk is even more than I can make time for some days. We hear that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, but how often do we truly take that advice? The weekends are a different story. That is when I love to make a big hot breakfast, and my favorite special morning treat is my fluffy and buttery German pancakes. They are so easy to prepare, and as they’re cooking, the whole house seems to warm up with the sweet custard-like aroma. You can top them with powdered sugar, syrup, fruit or jam, and with such simple ingredients, you never have to really plan ahead.
Now let’s get back to that advice about breakfast. With German pancakes, you can mix them up the night before and then simply bake them in the morning. They take about 30 minutes to bake up puffy and light, and then you have a delicious and filling breakfast that will keep a smile on your face for hours. Why not give yourself a treat in the middle of the week?
Belle’s German Pancakes
1 cup milk
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup flour
4 tablespoons butter, divided
Beat the eggs. Add the milk, salt and flour and beat until smooth. Place 2 tablespoons butter in each of two (8-inch) pie plates. Place the pie plates in the oven until the butter is melted. Pour the egg mixture into the pie plate. Don’t stir. Bake for 30 minutes or until puffed up and browned on the edge and center is cooked through. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and top with your choice of toppings.
Brenda Stanley is the mother of five children, including two sets of twins, and a grandmother of three. She is a cookbook author and novelist. Her website is at talesofthedinnerbelle.com.
- The top 10 dream colleges in 2015
- 5 underrated Disney movies
- The Clean Cut: Mitt Romney, Jimmy Fallon...
- What makes marriage hard? These 5 things...
- Lexi Hansen forgives driver who hit her (+video)
- The Clean Cut: BYU students' video parody...
- A father's bucket list: 10 things I want to...
- The Clean Cut: Video brings kindergarten...
- 'Maternal feminists' defend motherhood... 52
- What makes marriage hard? These 5... 17
- 5 underrated Disney movies 13
- The Clean Cut: Mitt Romney, Jimmy... 9
- Linda & Richard Eyre: Baby boomers,... 6
- Joseph Cramer, M.D.: We pay a price... 5
- What parents can do at home to prepare... 3
- What accounts for the cinematic... 3