Utah Jazz: Brad Jones to replace Jeff Hornacek as full-time assistant coach
MICHAEL BRANDY, DESERET NEWS
SALT LAKE CITY — The Utah Jazz are staying in-house to replace Jeff Hornacek.
Brad Jones will be promoted from his current position as the Jazz's director of player development to full-time assistant coach, according to a source.
Jazz coach Tyrone Corbin's staff has had a vacancy since Hornacek was hired as head coach of the Phoenix Suns three weeks ago. Jones will join Sidney Lowe and Michael Sanders as full-time assistants under Corbin, who has one year remaining on his coaching contract.
Jazz point guard Earl Watson recently tweeted a quick endorsement of Corbin's "new" coach: "Coach Jones is a great coach!"
It is not yet known who will take over Jones' player development job. Former University of Utah guard Johnnie Bryant spent the past year as Jones' assistant and remains on the Jazz's staff.
Jazz general manager Dennis Lindsey declined to comment on the team's impending announcement about Jones.
This is the latest move by an organization that has also brought Hall of Famers Karl Malone (part-time big men's coach) and Jerry Sloan (senior basketball adviser) back into the fold this offseason.
Jones returned to Utah last summer after Scott Layden left his assistant position to become the San Antonio Spurs' assistant general manager. Jones was the head coach of the Spurs' D-League affiliate and led the Austin Toros to a championship in 2012.
Jones, the nephew of Jerry Sloan's late wife, Bobbye Sloan, has years of experience with the Jazz. From 2001-07, he was a regional scout for Utah. From 2007-10, the former Lambuth University coach was the head coach of the now-defunct Utah Flash.
This is the second year in a row the Jazz's player development director has moved into an assistant position. Last year, Jones replaced Sanders after he received a similar promotion following Layden's departure.
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Harvey Unga to assist...
- Copper Hills lives up to expectations with...
- Cold-shooting BYU loses stunner to Pacific,...
- Hood, Hayward help Jazz eclipse Suns for...
- Live stream: High school drill team state...
- 'Heart-to-heart' talk between Krystkowiak and...
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake hired assistant...
- Utah gymnastics: Red Rocks edged out at UCLA...
- Utes drop heartbreaker at Oregon State,... 100
- Morning links: Grading the BYU, Utah... 83
- Cold-shooting BYU loses stunner to... 58
- BYU football: 2016 recruiting class... 42
- College football signing day central:... 34
- 5-star LDS linebacker prospect Mique... 33
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake hired... 30
- Brad Rock: Recruiting day puts Utes in... 29