Uncredited, ASSOCIATED PRESS
In the words of Gerald Ford, our long national nightmare is over.
After going months without being able to indulge in Twinkies, Hostess has announced that the popular snack cake will be back on shelves starting on July 15.
The Associated Press reports that Hostess, which had a very publicized fight with its union workers last year, is now a much more structured company under its new owners.
In addition to Twinkies, Hostess will bring back other products, including Donettes and CupCakes. The slogan for the return of the treats is "The Sweetest Comeback In The History Of Ever."
Daren Metropoulos, a principal of the investment firm Metropoulos & Co., told the AP, "A lot of impostor products have come to the market while Hostess has been off the shelves."
Metropoulos & Co. joined with Apollo Global Management to buy a variety of Hostess products for $410 million.
The AP reports that Hostess Brands Inc. had been struggling financially for years before it filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy in early 2012, causing a mad rush of customers to clean the shelves of the tasty treats. Most stores sold out of Twinkies within hours.
But now that the famous snacks are back, there is a change to one of its treats as well as a couple of things to remember about its most popular product.
For the CupCakes, Hostess is now using dark cocoa instead of milk chocolate to give them a richer and darker appearance.
A box of ten Twinkies will set you back $3.99, and the shelf life is still 45 days long.
"They don't last forever," Hostess president Rich Seban said.
Michael Smith (@smithmichael8) is an intern in the news section of DeseretNews.com. A 2013 graduate of the University of Utah, he will be attending Northwestern's Medill School of Journalism in the fall.
- Elizabeth Smart on 'Today': 'Life couldn't be...
- The Clean Cut: 'Duck Dynasty' daughter dances...
- A parent's worst nightmare: When a fever...
- 7 ways to help your loved one when they've...
- Utah family into film, acting, directing and...
- Dad makes creative pancakes for his kids,...
- Whooping cough is making a comeback —...
- Salute to Youth musicians amaze audience in...
- One-third of Utah kids risk becoming... 11
- Elizabeth Smart on 'Today': 'Life... 9
- Interracial marriages on the rise, but... 7
- Health care system can make dying... 6
- Is preschool worth the money? 6
- Whooping cough is making a comeback... 6
- The holy grail of community design 2
- SNL turns 40: 10 family friendly skits... 2