Uncredited, ASSOCIATED PRESS
In the words of Gerald Ford, our long national nightmare is over.
After going months without being able to indulge in Twinkies, Hostess has announced that the popular snack cake will be back on shelves starting on July 15.
The Associated Press reports that Hostess, which had a very publicized fight with its union workers last year, is now a much more structured company under its new owners.
In addition to Twinkies, Hostess will bring back other products, including Donettes and CupCakes. The slogan for the return of the treats is "The Sweetest Comeback In The History Of Ever."
Daren Metropoulos, a principal of the investment firm Metropoulos & Co., told the AP, "A lot of impostor products have come to the market while Hostess has been off the shelves."
Metropoulos & Co. joined with Apollo Global Management to buy a variety of Hostess products for $410 million.
The AP reports that Hostess Brands Inc. had been struggling financially for years before it filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy in early 2012, causing a mad rush of customers to clean the shelves of the tasty treats. Most stores sold out of Twinkies within hours.
But now that the famous snacks are back, there is a change to one of its treats as well as a couple of things to remember about its most popular product.
For the CupCakes, Hostess is now using dark cocoa instead of milk chocolate to give them a richer and darker appearance.
A box of ten Twinkies will set you back $3.99, and the shelf life is still 45 days long.
"They don't last forever," Hostess president Rich Seban said.
Michael Smith (@smithmichael8) is an intern in the news section of DeseretNews.com. A 2013 graduate of the University of Utah, he will be attending Northwestern's Medill School of Journalism in the fall.
- Parents respond to Nicki Minaj's 'vile' music...
- BYU announces Mitt Romney, Disney...
- 10 things to know before going to Salt Lake...
- Getting ready for Salt Lake Comic Con:...
- The Clean Cut: CBS News features boy with...
- 12 things that are totally worth waiting for
- Would you rather get married earlier, or stay...
- Jim Bennett: The ALS Ice Bucket Challenge is...
- Linda & Richard Eyre: Basic assumptions... 34
- Here's what you can do to protect your... 14
- Hey moms: Your neighbor's religion... 11
- Parents respond to Nicki Minaj's 'vile'... 7
- It's about time the government... 6
- Erin Stewart: Parents: Stop pushing... 6
- Linda & Richard Eyre: Social problems... 6
- Pediatricians' Rx for schools: Later... 5