4 teens steal car, hit deer and tree in Alpine, police say
ALPINE — A police chase resulted in four teens being hospitalized and one later arrested after crashing the car officers say they stole.
About 4 p.m. Saturday, a police officer patrolling Alpine neighborhoods attempted to pull over a car that was driving recklessly. The driver of car tried to flee from the officer. In the process, the car hit a deer while "traveling at an extreme high rate of speed," Lone Peak police said.
After the collision, the car did not stop. The car left the road and crashed into a pine tree after failing to execute a "sharp turn on a dead end street," according to police.
Officers responded immediately and aided those in the car until medical responders arrived.
Officers discovered that the car had been stolen, and said it contained "numerous articles and electronics" that had been stolen from a variety of cities. Officers also reported finding drug paraphernalia and controlled substances.
All four people in the car were younger than 16, but investigators did not specify their ages. They were all taken to the hospital, two with minor injuries and two with "more significant serious injuries," police said.
After being treated, the teen driver and was booked into the Slate Canyon Detention Center for investigation of several felonies. Police said all four will likely face criminal charges in juvenile court.
— Whitney Evans
- 9 things I wish I had known before my mission
- Woman dies, husband critically injured in...
- The truth about addiction
- Sandy officer shoots, critically injures man...
- Small group of Ordain Women supporters gather...
- Missing 18-month-old Layton boy found...
- Chaffetz expected to announce he's running...
- Man injured in police shooting identified
- Hatch calls shutting down government... 68
- Chaffetz expected to announce he's... 49
- Federal judge halts Herbert directive... 39
- New Medicaid expansion plan unveiled to... 27
- Is convicted killer innocent? Group... 24
- Gun control laws won't stop mass... 23
- Herbert, other governors slam federal... 20
- Woman said she felt protected in ordeal... 19