4 teens steal car, hit deer and tree in Alpine, police say
ALPINE — A police chase resulted in four teens being hospitalized and one later arrested after crashing the car officers say they stole.
About 4 p.m. Saturday, a police officer patrolling Alpine neighborhoods attempted to pull over a car that was driving recklessly. The driver of car tried to flee from the officer. In the process, the car hit a deer while "traveling at an extreme high rate of speed," Lone Peak police said.
After the collision, the car did not stop. The car left the road and crashed into a pine tree after failing to execute a "sharp turn on a dead end street," according to police.
Officers responded immediately and aided those in the car until medical responders arrived.
Officers discovered that the car had been stolen, and said it contained "numerous articles and electronics" that had been stolen from a variety of cities. Officers also reported finding drug paraphernalia and controlled substances.
All four people in the car were younger than 16, but investigators did not specify their ages. They were all taken to the hospital, two with minor injuries and two with "more significant serious injuries," police said.
After being treated, the teen driver and was booked into the Slate Canyon Detention Center for investigation of several felonies. Police said all four will likely face criminal charges in juvenile court.
— Whitney Evans
- Provo's waffle truck started by a motivated...
- The wrath of Comic-Con: S.L. convention...
- Drunken driver goes airborne, crashes into...
- Utah leads the nation in deadly melanoma cases
- Fired West Valley officer's defense team goes...
- Summer downpour causes flooding, slides...
- Long road to trial begins Wednesday for...
- Fatal Draper house fire was intentionally...
- Federal land managers criticized over... 26
- Ex-federal judge says West Valley... 25
- Owens' pollster says new poll shows... 21
- Drunken driver goes airborne, crashes... 19
- Habitual offender arrested in alleged... 17
- Provo's waffle truck started by a... 16
- San Diego Comic-Con tells Salt Lake... 12
- BYU grad strikes gold teaching via... 12