4 teens steal car, hit deer and tree in Alpine, police say
ALPINE — A police chase resulted in four teens being hospitalized and one later arrested after crashing the car officers say they stole.
About 4 p.m. Saturday, a police officer patrolling Alpine neighborhoods attempted to pull over a car that was driving recklessly. The driver of car tried to flee from the officer. In the process, the car hit a deer while "traveling at an extreme high rate of speed," Lone Peak police said.
After the collision, the car did not stop. The car left the road and crashed into a pine tree after failing to execute a "sharp turn on a dead end street," according to police.
Officers responded immediately and aided those in the car until medical responders arrived.
Officers discovered that the car had been stolen, and said it contained "numerous articles and electronics" that had been stolen from a variety of cities. Officers also reported finding drug paraphernalia and controlled substances.
All four people in the car were younger than 16, but investigators did not specify their ages. They were all taken to the hospital, two with minor injuries and two with "more significant serious injuries," police said.
After being treated, the teen driver and was booked into the Slate Canyon Detention Center for investigation of several felonies. Police said all four will likely face criminal charges in juvenile court.
— Whitney Evans
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Photo gallery: Deseret News Classic 5K
- Ogden man dies following U.S. 89 motorcycle...
- First-timers and veterans among thousands to...
- Man charged with murdering UTA worker found...
- If Mitt Romney endorsed Gary Johnson,... 72
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 65
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 48
- Utah Democrat: Kaine 'kind of person we... 24
- Sanders urges Utah and other... 24
- San Juan County residents say 'doodah'... 21
- Shurtleff exonerated, but questions and... 19
- Utah Democrats see opportunity in... 17