PAGE, Ariz. — Divers recovered Valerie Bradshaw's body on Sunday, four days after she and another woman disappeared into the waters of Lake Powell.
The body of the Sandy woman was found in water about 340 feet deep at 7:12 p.m. by the Utah Highway Patrol dive team, according to the Kane County Sheriff's Office.
The team used a robot to recover her body, police said. It was taken to the Wahweep Marina, and then to the medical investigator at the Kane County Sheriff's Office.
Because the body was found so late, search efforts were suspended for the night. The dive team planned to begin searching in the same area Monday morning for the body of Jessica Jackman, 22, of South Jordan.
The two women were last seen Thursday when the motorboat they were riding in collided with a houseboat near Dangling Rope Marina. Jackman's mother, Marilyn Jackman, 57, was also killed in the accident.
"This is what they do," Kane County Sheriff's Sgt. Alan Alldredge said of the search crews, before Bradshaw's body was found. "They’re really good at it, they’ll keep looking and they don’t generally give up. They’ll keep looking until they find them."
Alldredge said the teams had entered the third search grid area of Lake Powell's main channel using SONAR to scan for objects in the water.
"They’re looking for any irregularities, essentially, on the bottom of the channel," he said.
Officials with the National Parks Services were awaiting parts to repair a submersible robot craft that malfunctioned Friday. Alldredge said the replacement parts were expected to arrive Monday with the craft likely returning to operational use on Tuesday if needed.
- Summer downpour causes flooding, slides...
- Swallow, Shurtleff make first court...
- Utah leads the nation in deadly melanoma cases
- Project to restore Manti Tabernacle underway
- Video of school bus driver shows 'bizarre'...
- Cartel presence in Utah 'exploding' with...
- Provo's waffle truck started by a motivated...
- Settlement in dog shooting case reached, then...
- Republican, Democratic political... 37
- Ex-federal judge says West Valley... 25
- Owens' pollster says new poll shows... 22
- Drunken driver goes airborne, crashes... 21
- Swallow, Shurtleff make first court... 20
- Provo's waffle truck started by a... 19
- Critics decry solar fee as 'sun' tax 17
- Long road to trial begins Wednesday for... 13