Third day of Lake Powell search ends without success
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
PAGE, Ariz. — A third day of searching for two women who drowned Thursday in a boating accident at Lake Powell ended without success Saturday.
A team from the Department of Public Safety searched Saturday for the bodies of Jessica Jackman, 22, and Valerie Rae Bradshaw, 29, of Sandy, who went into the water Thursday morning when the motorboat they were on crashed into a houseboat near Dangling Rope Marina.
The motor boat was carrying 13 people — seven adults and six children from two related families — including Jessica Jackman's mother, 57-year-old Marilyn Jackman, of South Jordan, who was killed in the crash.
Technical problems with the sonar system on a remote controlled submersible craft shortened the search Friday, according to Kane County Sheriff's Sgt. Alan Alldredge. The craft is equipped with a camera, lights and a robotic arm which can be used to retrieve bodies.
Replacements parts or a borrowed robot should be available by Monday, Alldredge reported.
In the meantime, teams used a "side scan" sonar system to search from the water's surface, with the submersible at the ready should anything show up, Alldredge said. They were expected to continue looking on Sunday.
The damaged power boat will be moved to Wahweep Marina and removed as officials from Utah State Parks investigate the crash beginning next week, Alldredge said.
— McKenzie Romero
- 2 homes, 3 other buildings damaged in...
- Author, activist speaks at Theodore Roosevelt...
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Why Pioneer Day is so important to Utahns
- Police: Man confronts driver's ed student,...
- Man wanted for questioning in Tooele fire...
- Venezuela presents details in weapons case...
- Utah delegates finally stand and cheer... 93
- The day after: Lee defends Cruz at GOP... 32
- Should mountain biking be allowed in... 28
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 27
- Can police-community relations be... 14
- Rep. Mia Love buying $1M in TV ads for... 14
- Giant algal bloom likely to fuel Utah... 10
- Appellate court upholds water rights... 8