As student debt grows, consumer groups warn of debt-relief scams
Student loan debt has grown from $550 billion in the fourth quarter of 2007 to almost $1 trillion in the same quarter this year, according to a congressional report released this month.
As MSN Money points out, two-thirds of recent college graduates finish their undergraduate degrees with $27,000 in loan debt, roughly 60 percent of their estimated annual earnings.
To combat these extensive debt rates, many students — and their parents — have turned to debt-relief firms for help. Many of these relief firms are taking in up to $1.600 in unnecessary fees, a report issued Wednesday discovered. The National Consumer Law Center, which conducted the study, warns that while many of these programs are not illegal, they are nonetheless misleading.
"At a minimum, it is deceptive that most of the companies fail to prominently disclose that ‘their’ programs are actually federal government programs that an individual can access on her own at no cost," the report states.
As NBC News pointed out this week, federal law allows student loan borrowers various ways to reduce the burdens of student-related debt. But even with all the options provided by the government, the study suggests, getting help is often difficult.
“Government programs are unnecessarily complex and borrowers too often confront an impenetrable bureaucracy that prevents them from accessing their rights,” the report said. “To compound these problems, there are few reliable resources borrowers can turn to if they need help.”
- 25 cities that are winning at education
- 5 reasons your most talented employees will...
- Profiting as a Super Bowl host city...
- Want a one-of-a-kind name for your baby? It...
- 4 warning signs your teen is destined for bad...
- Child grooms of Nepal are married off as...
- Lawmakers looking to pump up gas tax this...
- Balancing act: Organizations slowly move...
- Lawmakers looking to pump up gas tax... 61
- Most K-12 students are now low income 10
- After setting iPhone record, what does... 4
- Want to save money in 2015?... 4
- US consumer confidence jumps to 7... 3
- 5 reasons your most talented employees... 2
- Want a one-of-a-kind name for your... 2
- Tess Frame: Five reasons you’re... 1