Utah Jazz: Coaching vacancy remains open as Kenny Gattison heads to Phoenix
Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Kenny Gattison will be helping an old teammate coach in the NBA next season.
It just won't be Tyrone Corbin.
That scenario had been a distinct possibility, but the former 10-year NBA player and assistant coach will instead be heading to Phoenix to team up with Jeff Hornacek as an assistant, according to the Arizona Republic.
The 49-year-old Gattison was a teammate of both Corbin and Hornacek at different times in Phoenix.
Meanwhile, Corbin continues with his search to replace Hornacek, who was hired this offseason as the Suns' head coach after being on the Jazz staff in various capacities since 2007.
Gattison was invited to assist the Jazz with an ongoing free agent mini-camp last week, raising questions about his potential for ending up with the organization.
More eyebrows were raised this past week when another possible Jazz staff candidate — former University of Utah basketball star Alex Jensen, a Viewmont High product — helped the team during another pre-draft workout at Zions Bank Basketball Center.
Jensen, the late Rick Majerus' former assistant at St. Louis, is considered one of the bright, young prospects in the coaching ranks. He is currently the head coach of the Canton Charge and was named the 2012-13 D-League coach of the year.
It wouldn't be surprising if Brad Jones, the Jazz's director of player development, was promoted to a full-time assistant coach position. If that scenario played out, the Jazz would have a player-development opening. Ex-Ute Johnnie Bryant is currently Jones' assistant.
The Jazz have remained silent about the coaching vacancy and potential candidates.
Utah has, however, made two significant hires since missing out on the playoffs for the second time in three years. In the past few weeks, Hall of Famers Karl Malone (part-time big men coach) and Jerry Sloan (senior basketball adviser) have both rejoined the organization in various roles.
EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org TWITTER: DJJazzyJody
- Questions aplenty as Utah Jazz begin training...
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- Heisman Trophy tracker, week 5: Taysom Hill...
- Dick Harmon: NFL's Goodell seeks out Ty...
- Ranking the starting point guards in the NBA...
- BYU players endured tougher-than-usual...
- BYU football: LB commit Jeremiah Ieremia says...
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured in-state game'
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 291
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 93
- Things won't get any easier for... 81
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 57
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 54
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes... 44
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39
- Mike Leach, the most interesting man in... 37