Utah Jazz: Coaching vacancy remains open as Kenny Gattison heads to Phoenix
Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Kenny Gattison will be helping an old teammate coach in the NBA next season.
It just won't be Tyrone Corbin.
That scenario had been a distinct possibility, but the former 10-year NBA player and assistant coach will instead be heading to Phoenix to team up with Jeff Hornacek as an assistant, according to the Arizona Republic.
The 49-year-old Gattison was a teammate of both Corbin and Hornacek at different times in Phoenix.
Meanwhile, Corbin continues with his search to replace Hornacek, who was hired this offseason as the Suns' head coach after being on the Jazz staff in various capacities since 2007.
Gattison was invited to assist the Jazz with an ongoing free agent mini-camp last week, raising questions about his potential for ending up with the organization.
More eyebrows were raised this past week when another possible Jazz staff candidate — former University of Utah basketball star Alex Jensen, a Viewmont High product — helped the team during another pre-draft workout at Zions Bank Basketball Center.
Jensen, the late Rick Majerus' former assistant at St. Louis, is considered one of the bright, young prospects in the coaching ranks. He is currently the head coach of the Canton Charge and was named the 2012-13 D-League coach of the year.
It wouldn't be surprising if Brad Jones, the Jazz's director of player development, was promoted to a full-time assistant coach position. If that scenario played out, the Jazz would have a player-development opening. Ex-Ute Johnnie Bryant is currently Jones' assistant.
The Jazz have remained silent about the coaching vacancy and potential candidates.
Utah has, however, made two significant hires since missing out on the playoffs for the second time in three years. In the past few weeks, Hall of Famers Karl Malone (part-time big men coach) and Jerry Sloan (senior basketball adviser) have both rejoined the organization in various roles.
EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org TWITTER: DJJazzyJody
- Dick Harmon: The Mangum brothers are a...
- Utes' center Jakob Poeltl says he'll return...
- BYU football: Cougars face even more...
- Dick Harmon: Lone Peak's Quincy Lewis among...
- Nothing to frown about: 3 baby arrivals in 3...
- Yeomans: What does it mean for Jimmer...
- Soccer: Taylor Booth is a 13-year-old phenom...
- The Pit is no place anyone wants to be, yet...
- Utes' center Jakob Poeltl says he'll... 56
- Morning links: Krystkowiak shares his... 35
- Doug Robinson: The high cost of coaches 28
- BYU football: Cougars face even more... 21
- Morning links: Booker ends the year... 17
- 3 Utes, 1 Aggie and 1 Cougar selected... 16
- Dick Harmon: The Mangum brothers are a... 16
- Utah Jazz: Future of Trevor Booker, Joe... 11