Is extravagant off-campus housing distracting to students?
Eric Risberg, ASSOCIATED PRESS
Upscale off-campus housing is gaining popularity in some college towns, and it has some educators worried.
John Eligon’s article “In student housing, luxuries overshadow studying” for The New York Times chronicles the growth and development of what Arthur J. Lidsky, president of Dober Lidsky Mathey, a campus-planning consultancy, called off-campus “social environments.”
“It takes away from sort of a community of learners,” Mathey told Eligon, “and it creates more of a separate living environment that doesn’t support that mission.”
These housing complexes offer spas, tanning salons and large pools for their tenants, which are predominantly students. Rates at such complexes typically start at $700 per student, which is roughly twice as much as older housing in college areas like Columbia in New York.
Eligon said, however, that even at such high rates, the modern housing complexes are sometimes cheaper than on-campus housing. At Columbia University, for example, living in the dorms adds about $1,000 per month to tuition.
“I don’t think it’s doing bad in the world to provide a nicer space for college students to live and study and rest and play,” Greg Henry, chief executive of the Texas based housing developer Aspen Heights, told Eligon.
In fact, some tenants believe these newer, more high-tech developments facilitate their education, not distract from it.
“It lessens the stress,” one student told Eligon. “You just feel more comfortable in your environment.”
- How to eat on just $4 a day
- 15 actions families are taking today to make...
- Obama announces new birth control fixes for...
- How to pay off all your student debt with one...
- The 20 best cities to live in for first-time...
- A solution to paying that medical bill you...
- How depression threatens financial well-being
- Vet who simulates homelessness for a month...
- Allow student loan bankruptcies,... 17
- Raising a kid will cost you $245,000... 11
- Food stamp use shows continued... 9
- Want to increase attraction in your... 7
- How to eat on just $4 a day 7
- Obama announces new birth control fixes... 5
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't make... 5
- A solution to paying that medical bill... 4