Exodus International Facebook page
Exodus International is an organization dedicated to “encouraging, educating and equipping the Body of Christ to address the issue of homosexuality, gay and lesbian people and families with grace and truth,” according to Exodus International.org.
Chambers apologized for the “trauma” and “pain” Exodus may have brought to members of the LGBT community.
“I have heard many firsthand stories from people called ex-gay survivors. Stories of people who went to Exodus affiliated ministries or ministers for help only to experience more trauma,” Chambers said in his apology. “I have heard stories of shame, sexual misconduct, and false hope. In every case that has been brought to my attention, there has been swift action resulting in the removal of these leaders and/or their organizations. But rarely was there an apology or a public acknowledgement by me.”
Chambers’ apology has received mixed reactions.
“Your too-late apologies can’t begin to make up for the real and lasting direct and indirect damage you did to many thousands of people,” said Michael Martin, a commenter on Exodus International’s Facebook page.
Others appreciate Chambers’ efforts and feel a sense of resolution.
“I've lost so many friends who were forced out of their connection with God because of the internalized messages they received from hateful religious groups. I accept the apology. Thank you,” said Little Bird on Exodus International’s Facebook page.
Exodus International will discontinue its programs aimed to "cure” gay people through prayer and therapy, according to USA Today.
"I believe we’ve come to a time in the church when it’s time to lay our weapons down," Chambers said at an Irvine conference. "We fought the culture and we’ve lost. But I think we’ve lost for a good reason because it’s time for peace."
- UVU men's soccer makes its program debut with...
- President Uchtdorf visits Provo City Center...
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- Wedding industry illustrates unresolved legal...
- Well-prepared Scouts rescue couple off Mount...
- LDS temple rises in Philadelphia
- ValueSpeak: A tip of the hat to innocence
- Elder David E. Sorensen, former executive...
- LDS Church releases video about... 46
- Wedding industry illustrates unresolved... 33
- Defending the Faith: Paul and his list... 29
- BYU coach, players answer questions at... 17
- Is James Foley a martyr? A brutal death... 9
- 'True compassion': Members of the LDS... 7
- What does heaven look like? Here are 10... 6
- In the Whirled: World peace and the... 5