Exodus International Facebook page
Exodus International is an organization dedicated to “encouraging, educating and equipping the Body of Christ to address the issue of homosexuality, gay and lesbian people and families with grace and truth,” according to Exodus International.org.
Chambers apologized for the “trauma” and “pain” Exodus may have brought to members of the LGBT community.
“I have heard many firsthand stories from people called ex-gay survivors. Stories of people who went to Exodus affiliated ministries or ministers for help only to experience more trauma,” Chambers said in his apology. “I have heard stories of shame, sexual misconduct, and false hope. In every case that has been brought to my attention, there has been swift action resulting in the removal of these leaders and/or their organizations. But rarely was there an apology or a public acknowledgement by me.”
Chambers’ apology has received mixed reactions.
“Your too-late apologies can’t begin to make up for the real and lasting direct and indirect damage you did to many thousands of people,” said Michael Martin, a commenter on Exodus International’s Facebook page.
Others appreciate Chambers’ efforts and feel a sense of resolution.
“I've lost so many friends who were forced out of their connection with God because of the internalized messages they received from hateful religious groups. I accept the apology. Thank you,” said Little Bird on Exodus International’s Facebook page.
Exodus International will discontinue its programs aimed to "cure” gay people through prayer and therapy, according to USA Today.
"I believe we’ve come to a time in the church when it’s time to lay our weapons down," Chambers said at an Irvine conference. "We fought the culture and we’ve lost. But I think we’ve lost for a good reason because it’s time for peace."
- Normons: A site to prove just how normal...
- LDS teacher mourns loss of two former...
- 'Walking Dead,' 'Doctor Who' stars attend...
- Wright Words: What do you tell a prospective...
- Florida governor visits Mormon Fort...
- New study by sociologist Mark Regnerus...
- The story behind the missionary reality TV...
- LDS Easter video viewed over 5 million times
- How much did President Obama donate to... 51
- Normons: A site to prove just how... 42
- Half of Americans skeptical of Big Bang 32
- Wright Words: What do you tell a... 25
- New Jersey lawsuit seeks to ban Pledge... 21
- LDS Easter video viewed over 5 million... 18
- Most voters favor prayer, minus Jesus,... 16
- Whats New: 'Sacred Hymns' is a moving CD 8