Friends remember 3 killed on Lake Powell
Search resumes Saturday for bodies of 2 women
Likewise, the Jackmans are avid boaters and visited Lake Powell often. For Marilyn Jackman in particular, Wahlquist said Lake Powell was her favorite place.
"The Jackmans are fantastic people," he said. "Marilyn is a saint, would do anything for anybody at any time."
Adrian Jackman is the bishop of the LDS Church's Parkway 1st Ward in South Jordan. Wahlquist has lived next to the family for 20 years.
On Friday, a makeshift memorial was started near the Jackmans' front door.
The search is being conducted in an area where the lake is between 300 and 400 feet deep. But park officials were very optimistic the bodies of the missing women would be found.
"The area that they're searching is relatively flat because it's in the main body of the channel, so we're optimistic we will be able to find them. How long it takes just really is very variable. It could be today it could be several days," Denise Shultz, spokeswoman for the Glen Canyon National Recreation Area, said Friday.
Shultz said actual divers would not be in the water, but rather a remote-controlled submarine-like vehicle that includes both a video feed and sonar.
The searchers were conducting a grid pattern on the lake. They will search again Monday if needed and then re-evaluate the effort if the bodies are not found, Shultz said.
"It is always sad when there's a death in the park. It's hard on the family, it's hard on our staff," she said.
Contributing: Andrew Adams
- Lehi toddler killed in accident remembered as...
- Preparing to split up, LDS General Primary...
- A river runs dry: Water and the future of...
- Cyclist killed on training run after...
- Photo gallery: Holi festival immerses Utahns...
- Utah taxpayers will pay millions more in wake...
- American Fork cyclist killed during training...
- Boy, 3, killed in Lehi scooter accident
- President Obama to make first trip to... 100
- BYU student claims he was evicted after... 57
- Utah taxpayers will pay millions more... 40
- Sen. Harry Reid's retirement recalls... 39
- Tea party movement still strong,... 23
- Cyclist killed on training run after... 23
- A river runs dry: Water and the future... 15
- Court battle settled over Susan Powell... 11