Friends remember 3 killed on Lake Powell
Search resumes Saturday for bodies of 2 women
Likewise, the Jackmans are avid boaters and visited Lake Powell often. For Marilyn Jackman in particular, Wahlquist said Lake Powell was her favorite place.
"The Jackmans are fantastic people," he said. "Marilyn is a saint, would do anything for anybody at any time."
Adrian Jackman is the bishop of the LDS Church's Parkway 1st Ward in South Jordan. Wahlquist has lived next to the family for 20 years.
On Friday, a makeshift memorial was started near the Jackmans' front door.
The search is being conducted in an area where the lake is between 300 and 400 feet deep. But park officials were very optimistic the bodies of the missing women would be found.
"The area that they're searching is relatively flat because it's in the main body of the channel, so we're optimistic we will be able to find them. How long it takes just really is very variable. It could be today it could be several days," Denise Shultz, spokeswoman for the Glen Canyon National Recreation Area, said Friday.
Shultz said actual divers would not be in the water, but rather a remote-controlled submarine-like vehicle that includes both a video feed and sonar.
The searchers were conducting a grid pattern on the lake. They will search again Monday if needed and then re-evaluate the effort if the bodies are not found, Shultz said.
"It is always sad when there's a death in the park. It's hard on the family, it's hard on our staff," she said.
Contributing: Andrew Adams
- Utah's first family of rodeo: Riding buckin'...
- Hillary's grace: Watching her daughter...
- Tanker crash sends oil into Provo River as...
- Olene Walker, Utah's first and only female...
- Report: Utah home to 'most impressive'...
- Traditions old and new celebrated as Temple...
- MTC missionaries spend Thanksgiving preparing...
- Local cowboys: A new foursome for the...
- Ogden woman sues trooper, alleging he... 36
- Feds: Utah companies accused of... 26
- Man steals woman's boarding pass,... 13
- The new Thanksgiving tradition: A quick... 11
- Olene Walker, Utah's first and only... 11
- MTC missionaries spend Thanksgiving... 10
- Utah liquor consumption is up, but... 8
- New barriers, other security measures... 5