OREM — Considered by some to be the perfect musical comedy, "Guys and Dolls" is a favorite at Hale Center Theater Orem.
It was performed years ago when the theater first opened in Utah County.
It's entertained audiences across America now for more than 50 years.
This time around, Kelly Hennessey is Miss Adelaide, the nightclub singer who's discouraged after years of waiting for her man to marry her.
Equity actor Blake Barlow is Sky Masterson, the high-rolling, smooth-talking gambler intent on wooing the uptight Sarah Brown.
Brittni Bills Smith plays Brown, the "mission doll" on a quest to reform the sinners of Times Square.
David Morgan directs this production with David Smith overseeing the music and Jennifer Hill-Barlow doing the choreography.
Smith says this show is a favorite of his because of the music.
Many of the numbers are classics and some, like "Sit Down, You're Rockin' the Boat" have a feel to them that's timeless.
Morgan said he has a strong cast for the show, some "really good people," including Barlow, Bills Smith, Hennessey and Carter Thompson as Nathan Detroit.
"It's kind of got something for everyone," he said. "The dancing's fantastic. The singing's good. There's a really strong script. It's going to be a really fun show."
Morgan said it's always a challenge to stage a show like "Guys and Dolls" in a smaller space like Hale Center Theater, but he believes it's working. "We can suggest all kinds of things (with the available space)," he said.
"Guys and Dolls" opened on Broadway in 1950 when it won the Tony Award for best musical.
If you go ...
What: "Guys and Dolls"
Where: Hale Center Theater Orem, 225 W. 400 N.
When: 7:30 p.m. June 27-Aug. 10 (Previews: June 21-22, 24, 25)
Tickets: $16-$20, www.haletheater.org or 801-226-8600
Sharon Haddock is a professional writer with more than 35 years experience, 17 at the Deseret News. Her personal blog is at sharonhaddock.blogspot.com.
- Director Darren Aronofsky’s...
- Dead Sea Scrolls exhibit offers chance to...
- First look at modernized 'Annie' produced by...
- Instead of 'Game of Thrones,' there are...
- Going digital a giant leap for 'dollar theaters'
- Second Provo artist joins Team Usher on 'The...
- What's new: 'Power to Become' third in series...
- Linda & Richard Eyre: Our love-hate...
- 'Son of God' is strong on production,... 20
- Director Darren Aronofsky’s... 13
- Linda & Richard Eyre: Our love-hate... 11
- '12 Years a Slave' wins best picture at... 6
- 2014 Oscars played it safe, but was... 5
- ‘Frozen’ makes history two... 4
- Dead Sea Scrolls exhibit offers chance... 3
- Instead of 'Game of Thrones,' there are... 3