Provo man injured in burglary claimed he was stabbed, police say
PROVO — Provo police responded to a reported stabbing Friday morning only to arrest the alleged stabbing victim in an early morning burglary.
Police responded to an alarm at Rock Canyon Pharmacy, 3179 N. Canyon Road, just before 5:30 a.m. and found someone had broken into the pharmacy by breaking a window with a hammer, Provo Police Lt. Mathew Siufanua said. It looked as though someone had tried to steal medication but had left it at the scene.
Police were able to pull the surveillance video and see the intruder, Siufanua said. Around 6:30 a.m., police then got a call from the nursing staff at an Orem hospital reporting that they had a patient who said he had been stabbed while he'd been running on a trail in Provo.
Detectives then responded to the hospital.
"Putting two and two together, they believe the suspect entered the business and while coming or going in, he cut himself with the glass," Siufanua said. "So he went home and, of course, they took him to the hospital."
Detectives arrested Leroy Murphy, 23, for investigation of burglary, criminal mischief, resisting arrest and providing false information to police officers.
- LDS Church donates to Utah Pride Center's...
- 'You can see the jaw marks': Pleasant Grove...
- 1 dead in Uintah County after track hoe...
- Pig-shaped hot air balloon crashes in Provo
- Sister missionaries relocated from Provo MTC...
- Ask a Chef: 3 funeral potato recipes that...
- Farmington woman tumbles 150 feet in hiking...
- Utah farmer turns alfalfa field into the...
- Delta man staged hate crimes in a 'cry... 96
- LDS Church donates to Utah Pride... 55
- Episcopal bishops seek end to 'unholy... 41
- My view: Move the prison for the sake... 38
- Support for law requiring sales tax for... 28
- Neil Flinders: Keeping track of school... 21
- U.S. Supreme Court overturns EPA's... 13
- Pig-shaped hot air balloon crashes in... 12