Provo man injured in burglary claimed he was stabbed, police say
PROVO — Provo police responded to a reported stabbing Friday morning only to arrest the alleged stabbing victim in an early morning burglary.
Police responded to an alarm at Rock Canyon Pharmacy, 3179 N. Canyon Road, just before 5:30 a.m. and found someone had broken into the pharmacy by breaking a window with a hammer, Provo Police Lt. Mathew Siufanua said. It looked as though someone had tried to steal medication but had left it at the scene.
Police were able to pull the surveillance video and see the intruder, Siufanua said. Around 6:30 a.m., police then got a call from the nursing staff at an Orem hospital reporting that they had a patient who said he had been stabbed while he'd been running on a trail in Provo.
Detectives then responded to the hospital.
"Putting two and two together, they believe the suspect entered the business and while coming or going in, he cut himself with the glass," Siufanua said. "So he went home and, of course, they took him to the hospital."
Detectives arrested Leroy Murphy, 23, for investigation of burglary, criminal mischief, resisting arrest and providing false information to police officers.
- The pimple dilemma: To pop or not to pop
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Prosecutors: Dad, son fleeing police killed...
- Quiz: Name that movie (filmed in Utah)
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: Which Utah attraction should you road...
- Quiz: Which epic Airbnb in Utah should be...
- Police shoot, critically injure 'prime...
- Gov. Gary Herbert calls margin of... 41
- 45 new locations open to provide free... 38
- Misty Snow likely to advance to general... 34
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 31
- Arches Health Plan shutdown leaves $33... 30
- Old West showdown? Freeway cattle drive... 24
- Mitt Romney says family still wants him... 23
- Rep. Love hosts poverty discussion with... 18