Provo man injured in burglary claimed he was stabbed, police say
PROVO — Provo police responded to a reported stabbing Friday morning only to arrest the alleged stabbing victim in an early morning burglary.
Police responded to an alarm at Rock Canyon Pharmacy, 3179 N. Canyon Road, just before 5:30 a.m. and found someone had broken into the pharmacy by breaking a window with a hammer, Provo Police Lt. Mathew Siufanua said. It looked as though someone had tried to steal medication but had left it at the scene.
Police were able to pull the surveillance video and see the intruder, Siufanua said. Around 6:30 a.m., police then got a call from the nursing staff at an Orem hospital reporting that they had a patient who said he had been stabbed while he'd been running on a trail in Provo.
Detectives then responded to the hospital.
"Putting two and two together, they believe the suspect entered the business and while coming or going in, he cut himself with the glass," Siufanua said. "So he went home and, of course, they took him to the hospital."
Detectives arrested Leroy Murphy, 23, for investigation of burglary, criminal mischief, resisting arrest and providing false information to police officers.
- Newborn found in trash can brings call for help
- Parents say daughter didn't understand her...
- Audit reveals major concerns about UTA...
- Carbon monoxide leak suspected in death of 2...
- 3 Mormon missionaries die in 2 separate...
- Woman accused of leaving young son outside...
- Man arrested in connection with baby's death
- Outbreak of illness linked to Weber County...
- Back (home) to school: Thousands of... 53
- New poll shows many Utahns oppose and... 49
- Court allows Utah more time to file gay... 35
- Carbon monoxide leak suspected in death... 34
- Newborn found in trash can brings call... 34
- 3 Mormon missionaries die in 2 separate... 30
- LDS missionary critically injured in... 27
- Audit reveals major concerns about UTA... 22