Provo man injured in burglary claimed he was stabbed, police say
PROVO — Provo police responded to a reported stabbing Friday morning only to arrest the alleged stabbing victim in an early morning burglary.
Police responded to an alarm at Rock Canyon Pharmacy, 3179 N. Canyon Road, just before 5:30 a.m. and found someone had broken into the pharmacy by breaking a window with a hammer, Provo Police Lt. Mathew Siufanua said. It looked as though someone had tried to steal medication but had left it at the scene.
Police were able to pull the surveillance video and see the intruder, Siufanua said. Around 6:30 a.m., police then got a call from the nursing staff at an Orem hospital reporting that they had a patient who said he had been stabbed while he'd been running on a trail in Provo.
Detectives then responded to the hospital.
"Putting two and two together, they believe the suspect entered the business and while coming or going in, he cut himself with the glass," Siufanua said. "So he went home and, of course, they took him to the hospital."
Detectives arrested Leroy Murphy, 23, for investigation of burglary, criminal mischief, resisting arrest and providing false information to police officers.
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed in...
- Supreme Court issues stay in Utah gay...
- Brain injury changes the lives and tests the...
- Union Pacific train makes special delivery...
- Splashing through the city: Giant slip and...
- Dancing stars Julianne and Derek Hough visit...
- A photographic look at how Days of '47 floats...
- Embattled doctor surrenders Utah medical license
- Supreme Court issues stay in Utah gay... 75
- Supporters rally around breast-feeding... 71
- Gov. says Utah will comply with law if... 59
- Herbert on Common Core: 'We are going... 37
- Utah unemployment rate second lowest in... 19
- $1.8B project to take Salt Lake City... 17
- South Jordan councilman wants school... 17
- Anti-porn rally aims at keeping... 14