Provo man injured in burglary claimed he was stabbed, police say
PROVO — Provo police responded to a reported stabbing Friday morning only to arrest the alleged stabbing victim in an early morning burglary.
Police responded to an alarm at Rock Canyon Pharmacy, 3179 N. Canyon Road, just before 5:30 a.m. and found someone had broken into the pharmacy by breaking a window with a hammer, Provo Police Lt. Mathew Siufanua said. It looked as though someone had tried to steal medication but had left it at the scene.
Police were able to pull the surveillance video and see the intruder, Siufanua said. Around 6:30 a.m., police then got a call from the nursing staff at an Orem hospital reporting that they had a patient who said he had been stabbed while he'd been running on a trail in Provo.
Detectives then responded to the hospital.
"Putting two and two together, they believe the suspect entered the business and while coming or going in, he cut himself with the glass," Siufanua said. "So he went home and, of course, they took him to the hospital."
Detectives arrested Leroy Murphy, 23, for investigation of burglary, criminal mischief, resisting arrest and providing false information to police officers.
- 2 homes, 3 other buildings damaged in...
- How new technology is reshaping pacemakers
- Utah crafting rules for spending on water,...
- Utah city condemns Confederate flag display...
- Another first: Utah caretaker contracts Zika...
- Why Pioneer Day is so important to Utahns
- Payson to hold hearing on proposed tax increase
- UDOT plans to upgrade Redwood Road in...
- Utah delegates finally stand and cheer... 93
- Utah GOP delegates finally fired up... 74
- Friction over Trump between GOP, Utah... 64
- The day after: Lee defends Cruz at GOP... 30
- Should mountain biking be allowed in... 27
- Prosecutor rails on DOJ handling of... 18
- Local government board fostered... 16
- 2 charged in attack on gay men;... 14