Sandy man beat his wife's grandmother to death with a golf club, police say
SANDY — A man reportedly having a "psychotic episode" was arrested late Thursday for allegedly killing his wife's grandmother.
Kevin Cuillard, 40, was booked into the Salt Lake County Jail for investigation of murder in the death of 85-year-old Arla "Caroline" Christensen.
Police were called to 10164 S. Bannor Hill Road (1985 East) just after 10 p.m. Thursday by a woman who said her husband was having a psychotic episode and was beating her grandmother with a golf club, said Sandy Police Sgt. Jon Arnold.
The woman said her husband "has a history of severe mental illness" and had not been sleeping in recent days or taking his medication, according to Arnold and a Salt Lake County Jail report. She also said that he had been "struggling with his mental health" on Thursday.
Thursday night, Cuillard went into the garage, came out with a golf club and then walked "with purpose" toward the bedroom, the report states.
"His wife describes his face as being very intense," according to the report. "She followed him through the house and asked him what he was doing."
Cuillard walked into Christensen's room, locked the door behind him and assaulted her, Arnold said.
The wife sent her two teenage girls out of the house to run to a relative's home nearby. She then ran out of the house herself after calling 911, Arnold said.
When police arrived, they immediately entered the home. As they searched the house, they heard a door close in the hallway, Arnold said. They found Cuillard still in Christensen's room. The head of the golf club was broken off. He surrendered without incident.
When interviewed by detectives, Cuillard said he had "Grandma's blood" on him, the report states.
"Kevin appeared to be suffering from a psychotic break," officers wrote. "He stated that he had to do what he did to make things better. In his mind, had he not done it, things would have been worse. He refused to elaborate."
Christensen had moved in with the family within the last year after living in Mt. Pleasant, Sanpete County.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Twitter: DNewsCrimeTeam
- Woman killed by mixer at Sandy grocery store...
- Supporters of Oregon occupier honor LaVoy...
- Report: Communication breakdowns contributed...
- Housing prices expected to climb in 2016,...
- Meagan Grunwald won't get a new trial in...
- Recent missionary killed after carjacking was...
- Video involving officer whose ear was nearly...
- Woman dies after getting caught in...
- Son of Oregon occupier killed by police... 106
- State senator wants Utah to declare... 39
- Recent missionary killed after... 32
- Feds say Orem man duped hundreds of... 28
- Supporters of Oregon occupier honor... 24
- Meagan Grunwald won't get a new trial... 22
- Are you willing to take a pledge to... 18
- What you need to know about the effort... 15