SANDY — A man reportedly having a "psychotic episode" was arrested late Thursday for allegedly killing his wife's grandmother.
Kevin Cuillard, 40, was booked into the Salt Lake County Jail for investigation of murder in the death of 85-year-old Arla "Caroline" Christensen.
Police were called to 10164 S. Bannor Hill Road (1985 East) just after 10 p.m. Thursday by a woman who said her husband was having a psychotic episode and was beating her grandmother with a golf club, said Sandy Police Sgt. Jon Arnold.
The woman said her husband "has a history of severe mental illness" and had not been sleeping in recent days or taking his medication, according to Arnold and a Salt Lake County Jail report. She also said that he had been "struggling with his mental health" on Thursday.
Thursday night, Cuillard went into the garage, came out with a golf club and then walked "with purpose" toward the bedroom, the report states.
"His wife describes his face as being very intense," according to the report. "She followed him through the house and asked him what he was doing."
Cuillard walked into Christensen's room, locked the door behind him and assaulted her, Arnold said.
The wife sent her two teenage girls out of the house to run to a relative's home nearby. She then ran out of the house herself after calling 911, Arnold said.
When police arrived, they immediately entered the home. As they searched the house, they heard a door close in the hallway, Arnold said. They found Cuillard still in Christensen's room. The head of the golf club was broken off. He surrendered without incident.
When interviewed by detectives, Cuillard said he had "Grandma's blood" on him, the report states.
"Kevin appeared to be suffering from a psychotic break," officers wrote. "He stated that he had to do what he did to make things better. In his mind, had he not done it, things would have been worse. He refused to elaborate."
Christensen had moved in with the family within the last year after living in Mt. Pleasant, Sanpete County.
Email: email@example.com, Twitter: DNewsCrimeTeam
- Tabernacle Choir performs Handel's 'Messiah'...
- Two bodies discovered near Provo's Squaw Peak
- Police make arrest in death of 59-year-old...
- 2-year-old boy dies from accidental shooting...
- No aftershocks from Saturday's Tooele quake
- Film about man's crusade against child sex...
- Western states to feds: Turn over public lands
- Salt Lake City Marathon comes with many...
- Atheists, Mormon scholars talk religion 90
- At UVU, Elder Oaks sees hope despite... 79
- Utah, Oklahoma same-sex marriage cases... 47
- Appeals judges question right to sue in... 28
- Autopsies of 7 infants completed;... 24
- Texas seizes FLDS Church's secluded ranch 24
- 2-year-old boy dies from accidental... 18
- Salt Lake City's inversion problem... 13