SANDY — A man reportedly having a "psychotic episode" was arrested late Thursday for allegedly killing his wife's grandmother.
Kevin Cuillard, 40, was booked into the Salt Lake County Jail for investigation of murder in the death of 85-year-old Arla "Caroline" Christensen.
Police were called to 10164 S. Bannor Hill Road (1985 East) just after 10 p.m. Thursday by a woman who said her husband was having a psychotic episode and was beating her grandmother with a golf club, said Sandy Police Sgt. Jon Arnold.
The woman said her husband "has a history of severe mental illness" and had not been sleeping in recent days or taking his medication, according to Arnold and a Salt Lake County Jail report. She also said that he had been "struggling with his mental health" on Thursday.
Thursday night, Cuillard went into the garage, came out with a golf club and then walked "with purpose" toward the bedroom, the report states.
"His wife describes his face as being very intense," according to the report. "She followed him through the house and asked him what he was doing."
Cuillard walked into Christensen's room, locked the door behind him and assaulted her, Arnold said.
The wife sent her two teenage girls out of the house to run to a relative's home nearby. She then ran out of the house herself after calling 911, Arnold said.
When police arrived, they immediately entered the home. As they searched the house, they heard a door close in the hallway, Arnold said. They found Cuillard still in Christensen's room. The head of the golf club was broken off. He surrendered without incident.
When interviewed by detectives, Cuillard said he had "Grandma's blood" on him, the report states.
"Kevin appeared to be suffering from a psychotic break," officers wrote. "He stated that he had to do what he did to make things better. In his mind, had he not done it, things would have been worse. He refused to elaborate."
Christensen had moved in with the family within the last year after living in Mt. Pleasant, Sanpete County.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Twitter: DNewsCrimeTeam
- Davis High teacher faces rape charges
- Funeral plans set for BYU student, LDS...
- Rep. Jim Matheson says he won't run for...
- BYU student, LDS seminary teacher watches...
- Parents plead for person who hit and killed...
- Utah-based 'Kid History' collaborates with...
- Ogden couple not giving up hope on finding...
- Timeline: 3 years after Provo Tabernacle...
- Federal judge overturns part of Utah's... 80
- Rep. Jim Matheson says he won't run for... 55
- Minimum wage debate rages on 23
- Family looks for answers after children... 21
- BYU student, LDS seminary teacher... 16
- State GOP Central Committee chooses... 15
- British actor John Rhys-Davies 'flies'... 14
- UVU plans campus shooting simulation... 11